Steam
for Android

Thieves' Gambit: The Curse of the Black Cat

by Dana Duffield

Espionage

You're the world's greatest jewel thief! Well, second greatest. But if you and your team of talented crooks can steal the Black Cat, the world's unluckiest diamond, you'll be legendary!

The Black Cat has never been stolen, its previous owners all having died under improbably unfortunate circumstances. Break into the palace of San Castellano, pinch the gem, evade the relentless Inspector Leclerc and get away before you succumb to the Curse of the Black Cat!

Play as male or female; gay, straight, or bi. Choose your methods and your motives. Will you be an honorable thief or a ruthless criminal? A technical genius or a master of disguise? Who can you trust, and who will you double-cross?

• 100,000-word tale of adventure and intrigue

License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: bo0r3xjkhlq9gm50

A straightforward heist game written in Choicescript, July 27, 2020
This is the third Choicescript heist game I've played in the last week (the other two being The Martian Job and The Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck), so I can't help but compare them.

The Martian Job had the most memorable writing and setting of the bunch, with more emotional choices, while Lady Luck had more memorable characters and a zany atmosphere.

This game was just pure heist. You learn about the heist, you recruit your crew, you conduct the heist, you leave. There are a few twists, but they are mostly telegraphed, making them pleasant but not anxiety-inducing.

I'm a big fan of mysteries and crime, so I enjoyed this game, and found it polished. Most of the choices made sense, with a recurring choice of 'Sneaky, Brutal or Flashy' showing up, despite not mapping directly onto the choices. I think this helped in characterization.

I guess I didn't really connect with this game emotionally. My enjoyment was at arm's length. I am interested in playing it again, though, to get some of the more unusual acheivments.

If you enjoyed Thieves' Gambit: The Curse of the Black Cat...

People who like Thieves' Gambit: The Curse of the Black Cat also gave high ratings to these games:

Alice Aforethought, by Hanon Ondricek
I need your help. I mean, you're the one who is supposed to talk me out of things before I do anything stupid. Time has stopped moving, and that might turn out to have been my fault. I didn't mean to do it. You must believe me. I'll...

Winter Storm Draco, by Ryan Veeder
A chronicle of the events of the winter storm of the same name.

Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort, by Tiberius Thingamus
In this adventure, findeth ye olde treasures from within yon castle. Maketh friends as ye o'ercome meddlesome goblins! Outwitteth ye riddling gnome! Resizeth ye belts & belt-like things! Can ye getteth all o' ye treasures & defeateth ye...

Thieves' Gambit: The Curse of the Black Cat appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Crime and Heist games by MathBrush
I've played a lot of these recently, so I'm making a list. A contrast to my Detective and Mystery games list and similar to my Espionage and Spy game list, where I put Spider and Web, for instance.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Dan Fabulich on 17 October 2014 at 2:48am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item