EctoComp 2013 compressed file
Contains The tale of the cursed eagle.zblorb
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

The Tale of the Cursed Eagle

by Slat Leering profile

First Publication Date: October 31, 2013
IFID: F57BF921-DBAA-4003-9B2D-09B009CB808C
TUID: bf68dbypvpmgi7ia

14th Place - Ectocomp 2013

About what SpeedIF should be, October 31, 2014
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)
A year after EctoComp 2013, I found myself coming back to this game. It's a very good example of SpeedIF. While there's a lot that isn't implemented for you to examine, it's not critical to the story. The main focus is to run away from that beast that's chasing you.

From a technical level, you're just running around nine rooms avoiding a best that will kill you. It's possible to get stuck in a few places, but the game is short enough you can just replay. You can also find sanctuary from the beast to get several endings. I managed to get these, and they were still satifying despite not the "good" one that makes everything click--on re-playing, I see that a lot of hints were there. Though I sort of forgot for a bit about (Spoiler - click to show)The Wizard's Tower, as I may've assumed it was as impassable as the guard by the bridge to the village who wants money. But that's a minor hinting issue.

Speeding through this game under the deluge of IFComp 2013 entries, I missed that (Spoiler - click to show)the beast is half as fast as you, assuming instead that (Spoiler - click to show)the author wanted you to randomly teleport in the fairy ring. So somehow I managed to "fear" the beast and ascribe it more power than it had.

That's a good accomplishment for an EctoComp game. This is a high three stars in my rating, which for a speed game is very good indeed, and while I can't knock any game that placed above it--there were a lot of good ideas--I'm still surprised it wound up in the bottom half.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Marius Müller on 21 October 2016 at 4:02am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item