Play latest version online via the ADRIFT site.
Download story file (.blorb) - requires ADRIFT(Windows) or Fabularium(Android)
Story file for Windows and Android
Requires an ADRIFT version 5 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

Treasure Hunt in the Amazon

by Kenneth Pedersen profile and Niels Søndergaard

Adventure

You have just received information about a legendary artifact in the Amazon. Will you be able to find it and return alive?

Old-school challenges are optional and can be enabled for a more challenging experience.

With permission, this game is a translation and an improvement of a Danish game from 1985 by Niels Søndergaard. Art work by Steffen Vedsted, also with permission. Music by Eric Matyas ( www.soundimage.org) in accordance with attribution-info.

Playable on Windows and Android, as well as online ( http://www.adrift.co/cgi/play.cgi?1528 ).

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-500-729D-5AB1-4F5D-926C-716ACA8AEA00
TUID: bdfm058ije7jzx5s

3rd Place - 2019 ADRIFT Game of the Year Award

53rd Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Comfort Castle
The game is spruced up with some lovely little cartoons by Steffen Vedsted, with an explorer who looks like he’s the main character of a newspaper comic which has inexplicably been running for 70 years, and soundtracked with some of Eric Matyas’ compositions, enough of them so that repeat songs don’t get annoying. It’s some of the best presentation I’ve seen in the competition so far this year.

Antimony
I really, really appreciate the modern conveniences; thank you no hunger timer. It's sturdily implemented, but definitely old-school.

The Breakfast Review
There are a couple of places where it can be made unwinnable, but it's fairly easy overall, so that's probably not going to be an issue. The real challenge would probably lie in finishing the story with one or more of the old-school challenges in play.

A fun little treasure hunt in the Amazon with some parser issues and colonialism, October 2, 2019
This game is a remake of a 1985 Danish game (which explains the two authors).

The game warns you that it comes with randomization, hunger timers, etc. and has a really clever idea: allowing you to turn all of those off. I tried playing with them on at first, and it was actually fun, since the map wasn't too confusing (especially with the automap. And Adrift online makes playing a lot better!). The music and images worked well with the text.

Some parts of the interactivity just seem too farfetched to guess on your own, though. I knew I needed to (Spoiler - click to show)find the key in the jaguar, and I knew that (Spoiler - click to show)I had to eat in the game, but I never thought the two would be combined to solve a puzzle. And some tools seem like they could have many uses (such as the (Spoiler - click to show)dynamite). But a lot of this stems from older game design where it was expected the player would only have a few games available and play each of them off and on for multiple days or weeks.

More concerning is the inherent colonialism in the game. I ran into this when adapting Sherlock Holmes in to a game; I left in negative references to gypsies, and the feedback I received taught me a lot more about the negative experiences gypsies have had over the years (including in the Holocaust!) This game does something similar, where the natives are portrayed as more or less dumb and associated with alcohol, and there are no moral qualms about entering sacred spaces and stealing artifacts to take back to Europe. This wasn't exactly unusual in 1985 (just look at Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom from the year before!), but sticks out now, to me, especially since I've also adapted older works with colonialist views. I don't really have any advice, these are just my thoughts.

An old game in a new dress, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
Treasure Hunt in the Amazon is not a great game by today’s standards. It shows that it was originally crafted in 1985, and I suppose it was a relatively decent game back then. The remake is certainly decently implemented and lets you disable all the elements of time and randomness that made the original difficult to finish on a first playthrough. Without such restrictions, however, the game became surprisingly easy; the map is not big, the verbs don’t have to be guessed, the descriptions are sparse, and an automap makes it easy to navigate. In the end it took about 15 minutes to play through. It was nice to play, but rather as a curiosity – a way to experience a classic from the eighties through the comfort of the present.

If you enjoyed Treasure Hunt in the Amazon...