Recursion.

by Adrian Belmes profile

Surreal

A digital-born hypertext produced in Twine for the San Diego State University 2018 Electronic Literature Competition. The work is a non-linear exploration of the extremes to which individuals will go in pursuit of happiness, revolving around the concept of narrative recursion through mechanically integrated recursion.

Language: United States
First Publication Date: April 12, 2018
Current Version: V.1
License: CA
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFID: 6655D054-6BF1-4909-8050-8D77EB68ADB9
TUID: b9iunkgn34ej22tp

Love and pain in an endless world, April 18, 2018
I love reading creepy stories and sci-fi stories, and one subgenre of both of those that I like is the time loop story. While such stories can be played just as a puzzler (get this sequence right to fix the machine, like Fingertips:Fingertips), I especially appreciate the ones that focus on human thought and feeling.

This game is well-written and focuses on character and depth. It is, as far as I can tell, completely linear (or completely cyclical, I guess I could say). It's like an endless roundabout with occasional exits that lead to the same roundabout. But it does have an overall narrative arc.

It contains some dark themes, and isn't really appropriate for children, I would say. I found it meaningful and well-done.

This uses slow text, which I usually dislike but found appropriate here (and not too slow). It also used music which I didn't listen to.

Thought Provoking, April 17, 2018
I enjoyed the slow delayed text and the constant circular motion the story took.

I would however be interested in seeing how it was made if you could please upload the source?

Thanks for the enjoyable game :)

If you enjoyed Recursion....

People who like Recursion. also gave high ratings to these games:

> by @, by Aaron A. Reed

Brain Guzzlers from Beyond!, by Steph Cherrywell
You are Bonnie Noodleman, Ordinary Well-Adjusted Teen-Ager, on an ordinary well-adjusted drive up Make-Out Mountain--until some gooey monstrosity from beyond the stars guzzles your boyfriend's brains clean out of his head! Jeepers, what...

I THINK I'LL STOP OFF ON THE WAY, by piratescarfy
A surreal horror story about an English service station with randomly selected content if certain passages are revisited. Written while on holiday in the Lake District.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Adrian Belmes on 16 April 2018 at 7:47pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item