Monk by the Sea

by Elizabeth Decoste profile

Surreal
2020

Go to the game's main page

A great first parser game that needs a lot more polish to be a finished work, April 16, 2020
This is an introspective parser game set in the world of the paintings of Caspar David Friedrich, one of my favorite artists. It revolves around exploration and small, one-item puzzles in the classic Zorklike mode.

I've seen many first parser games (including my own, a game I never released), and they are almost uniformly buggy and unfinishable.

This game has surprisingly few, if any bugs, which is a welcome surprise. However, it is lacking a lot of polish. I had to decompile the game to find the ending. Some suggestions for the next game:

1. Having one or more beta testers can alleviate almost all problems, if you implement their feedback. Intfiction.org is a good place to find some.
2. Room exits should be listed in every room unless finding the exit is a (hinted) puzzle, like a maze.
3. It's good to have either everything have a description or nothing to have a description. It takes a long time to describe everything, but it's often worth it.
4. Some puzzles may need cluing (like the magpie puzzle). Having a beta tester or two can help here.
5. Having instant deaths and disabling UNDO is a pretty frustrating combo. There's been a lot of debate over the years on whether disabling UNDO is worth it, but it's worth knowing that some interpreters have built-in UNDO that works even if you try to disable it, so some players will always have UNDO.

Overall, I think the author is capable of creating truly great parser games given enough tester support. I'd love to see more!

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

edcst, July 30, 2020 - Reply
Thank you for this review! As my first game I am proud of it, and it served primarily as a tool to help me learn how Inform works, but your advice and comments will definitely influence any games I create in the future!
MathBrush, July 30, 2020 - Reply
I would definitely play anything you make, you have a unique way of writing and designing that's very interesting.
Previous | << 1 >> | Next