beer.taf
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

When Beer Isn't Enough

by Matt Dark Baron

2003

Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-400-52C894FAB2ED75CE1D75F73241F0CB6E
TUID: asxh5rigrcdbduoe

Random, February 26, 2008
You play a kangaroo that has broken its pouch and has to find a new one. The gameplay consists of wandering around a small Australian town. Why the game is called When Beer Isn't Enough is never explained.

The game has many random elements. Not absurd or illogical but... random. There seems to be some model of viewing the world here that quite doesn't fit the norm. At times you have to read the sentences a couple of times through before seeing their intended meaning. The cause is often followed by a non sequitur effect and this is probably unintentional. In gameplay this means you can't have even a short term plan ("if I do X, I can then do Y", or even "I should now do Z") because solving a puzzle results in the game advancing completely unpredictably.

I could probably make a decent guess at what the author's age was when the game was written. The humor relies on urine, fat people and body parts exploding or catching fire. The prose is blunt and conveys a sense that the author has a vivid imagination but lacks the skill to express it in writing.

On the plus side the game has some strange appeal to it that kept me playing until I ended up in a deadlock (but not enough to restart and play again). Maybe it's because every time you do something right the game advances significantly, which makes solving puzzles very rewarding.

When Beer Isn't Enough on IFDB

The following polls include votes for When Beer Isn't Enough:

Hilariously Bad IF games by american00b
Earlier today, I felt like playing an Interactive Fiction game that is the literary and stylistic equivalent of such masterpieces as Birdemic and The Room. I still have that feeling, so if you find anything like Plan 9 from Outer Space...

Australian Setting or Characters by Rhetta_Lynnea
I've played several good games with Aussie characters or setting, and I was wondering if there are any others. It doesn't have to be the main focus of the game, just a little extra colour.

This is version 1 of this page, last edited on 29 September 2007 at 8:50pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item