Competition Version

SCREW YOU, BEAR DAD!

by Xalavier Nelson Jr.

SCREW YOU, BEAR DAD! is a game about puns, rampant drug use, learning to enjoy life despite uncertainty, and elderly women in attack helicopters.

Also - bears.

[Note: game contains strong language, and brief scenes depicting familial abuse.]

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: adtwrra6bwcux97l

24th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
Underneath all the humour, by the way, there seems to be a message about connecting with people. Okay. It's a grand message. The exploration of the bear's daddy issues is also pretty cool. But I think I'm going to remember this for the humour.

Funny and touching at the same time, August 18, 2018
I really love how the author managed to strike a balance between humour and emotional drama. This was more apparent towards the end, where the two seemingly incompatible themes fused together to produce a scene whose risk of straying into melodrama was effectively managed by the irony of the bear interacting with humans, which I felt was very well-implemented.

There were many laugh-out-loud moments; the bear puns were a delight. I especially support the author's choice of allowing the player to continue being happy about being alive after falling through the skylight - it's such a fun, rebellious thing to do, and all the while the player appreciates the author's effort at pursuing this mini diversion that clearly has nothing to do with the main plot. It's great.

Powerful material, solid writing, held back by pacing and UI decisions, November 14, 2016
Emotionally powerful writing that lightens the mood with the humorous concept of putting you in the story as an anthropomorphised bear who communicates via gestures.

The story is linear, but the choices feel meaningful and deliver a sense of agency. My only negative feeling towards the work is that the UI forces pauses between sections of text, and prevents you from advancing, which slowed down my sense of pacing and urgency. I suspect the plot plays a part too, as it is predicated on moving back and forth through time in a way that usually works, but sometimes feels like it could use a little more attention.

A bear-pun-filled exploration of parental relationships and friendship, June 5, 2017
This is a highly styled twine game that switches back and forth between two narratives about a bear, one set in the present where the bear is roaming a lab, and the other in the past where the bear confronts his father.

The game is full of bear puns (which are great) and occasional strong profanity (which I did not enjoy; I used a web-based profanity filter, though, so it wasn't bad.)

The story was funny (with one rather gruesome bit covered in other reviews). The deep backstory, though, was not compelling to me, as I didn't feel it was universal. It's a sort of classic Millenial story about fighting for the right to do nothing.

If you enjoyed SCREW YOU, BEAR DAD!...