Contains pca.z5
Spring Thing 2019 version
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Porter Cave Adventure

by Cam Miller

Educational

A text adventure about history and game design.

First Publication Date: April 4, 2019
Development System: Inform
TUID: abu3zwkz390pguau

Audience Choice--Best History Lesson, Most Educational, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2019

A game designed to explore academic writing concepts in game form, April 19, 2019
This game was designed as part of a class in game history. It's one of the most successful games I've seen done as part of a course, since most such games are very timid in their scope. This one is decently-sized.

The author decided to feature game history and critique heavily. Something happens in the game, and then you get a quote relevant to what you just experienced.

I found that an enjoyable premise. It did suffer from implementation issues, which are the bugbear of parser games in general. For instance, there is a telephone which cannot be referred to at at all.

Overall, it's a valuable addition to the niche of 'games about games'.

Not really a game, May 13, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: Spring Thing 2019
This felt less as a game, and more like a pedagogical exercise. The way through it is linear and underway, the player is met with quotes relevant to game theory that shines light on the purpose of what they are doing or just did. As such, there are no real puzzles here, though Iím sure many will appreciate the IF meta-perspectives laid out in this manner.

The mechanics were a bit too unpolished for my taste. Most things listed cannot be examined, and some of the verbs needed to advance were impossible for me to guess. However, in this case, using the walkthrough didnít really spoil anything.

Porter Cave Adventure is a neat way of explaining game concepts, but donít expect an immersive game experience.

If you enjoyed Porter Cave Adventure...