TLJCP1.EXE
documentation

The Last Just Cause

by Jeremy Carey-Dressler

2001

"The Last Just Cause.... What if you were completely sane in an insane world? What if other's wished to destroy you because of your sanity? What if this insane world's people only truly cared about themselves? What if there hate had completely consumed them? What would you do? What if you had the ability to fix the problems? Well I believe you can, if you can make it out of the world's oppressive powers? Then the next question is, how would you fix the problems? Nicely, in an understanding, but firm way or with a cruel iron fist? Everything is in your hands... Now you must choose your destiny, and perform The Last Just Cause." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

Current Version: 1.01 RE
Development System: C++
TUID: 9fmbdcnj5xo8249y

50th Place - 7th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2001)

TLJC is one of those games that it's hard to imagine anyone enjoying who isn't the author. It doesn't offer good writing. It doesn't offer interesting technical achievements. Lord knows it doesn't offer fun gameplay, instead serving up mind-numbing tedium of battle after battle with one (undescribed and made-up) monster, all of which feel like waiting around while various dicerolls happen without you. (Although I did greatly enjoy when the game asked if I wanted to use the "lighting" spell, and upon my assent cried "I call upon the Power of lighting!" That'll make an excellent line for turning on lamps.)

A homebrew RPG with random battles and death and losses turned to max, July 16, 2017
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
When I saw this had the same opening as You Were Doomed From the Start, my heart sank.

This is a two-part ms-dos game, but I know of noone who has passed the first few rooms, as every step has you fight a monster called Double J, an in-joke about one of the author's friends, I believe.

By examining the code in Notepad++, I could read a lot of the text; there's a giant shape to the map, and a bomb of some sorts. Apparently there is a cheat, and a new game++. But noone's ever reached it.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Nathan on 20 October 2015 at 6:50pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item