Play online
A very pretty version hosted at the author's website.
Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre
French translation by Hugo Labrande

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder

by Ryan Veeder profile

You should carry the bag. I'm more of a delegator.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
IFID: E4AEBEE7-5B50-4CE1-B0E5-4308EE994826
TUID: 8u5me2jkkw3icqa9

Translated to French in Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre, by Ryan Veeder

4th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

French Translation February 28, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Very clever "open-ended' game, December 7, 2013
This is a very clever and easily re-playable game.

Too much description would spoil the pleasures in it--be prepared to play several times, interacting, examining, and testing different things.

Narratively it is a very funny game. Descriptions are well-written, red herrings are nicely done, and the sense of exploration is high.

I'm looking forward to seeing "highest attainable score"--the nature of the game is such that it isn't obvious how high of a score you can get without extensive replays.

Survive with the most toys, October 27, 2018
"I'm not a high score seeker," I thought. "This isn't my type of game." But I still ended up replaying it dozens of times and taking notes to get the best score I could (I got (Spoiler - click to show)1330 on my own and (Spoiler - click to show)1579 after reading a hint from the author for a certain treasure). What won me over was a combination of the charming writing style and the well-implemented mechanic of water rising up through the levels of a sinking ship. Well, really, the ship is sinking down into the water, but you get the idea. I also liked how the map emphasizes height and up/down movement between layers. Even within individual rooms, some treasures are at different heights so they disappear under the water at different times.

Still, despite being a cute little game, it's too short and simple to be very interesting. Too much score/turn-counting, not enough puzzles for my taste. I'd have preferred a tricky challenge more like A Change in the Weather. An extra point is deserved for strong writing and implementation, but I'm omitting my rating from the average because I admit it's just not my type of thing.
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

Enjoyable, repeatable optimization minigame, February 3, 2016
This game would work great as a text adventure (which it is), a point-and-click, a sidescroller, and frankly just about anything.

You are stuck with a rat captain and have to get out of sinking ship as fast as possible, grabbing whatever treasure you can. There are some mild puzzles (and probably some harder ones I couldn't figure out), but mostly you just try to figure out what's worth saving.

This is pretty fun. I enjoyed spending a ton of turns trying to get an obscure object only to discover it was completely worthless. Sometimes things are not what they seem (diamonds in the rough) and sometimes they are what they seem (dirt clods in the rough).

Lots of fun, and super short (to maximize replay value). I recommend a few playthroughs for fun.

If you enjoyed Captain Verdeterre's Plunder...