Play online
A very pretty version hosted at the author's website.
Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre
French translation by Hugo Labrande

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder

by Ryan Veeder profile

You should carry the bag. I'm more of a delegator.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
Forgiveness Rating: Unnecessarily Judgmental
IFID: E4AEBEE7-5B50-4CE1-B0E5-4308EE994826
TUID: 8u5me2jkkw3icqa9

Translated to French in Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre, by Ryan Veeder
Spoofed by Captain Piedaterre's Blunders, by Wade Clarke

4th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

French Translation February 28, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Enjoyable, repeatable optimization minigame, February 3, 2016
This game would work great as a text adventure (which it is), a point-and-click, a sidescroller, and frankly just about anything.

You are stuck with a rat captain and have to get out of sinking ship as fast as possible, grabbing whatever treasure you can. There are some mild puzzles (and probably some harder ones I couldn't figure out), but mostly you just try to figure out what's worth saving.

This is pretty fun. I enjoyed spending a ton of turns trying to get an obscure object only to discover it was completely worthless. Sometimes things are not what they seem (diamonds in the rough) and sometimes they are what they seem (dirt clods in the rough).

Lots of fun, and super short (to maximize replay value). I recommend a few playthroughs for fun.

Very clever "open-ended' game, December 7, 2013
This is a very clever and easily re-playable game.

Too much description would spoil the pleasures in it--be prepared to play several times, interacting, examining, and testing different things.

Narratively it is a very funny game. Descriptions are well-written, red herrings are nicely done, and the sense of exploration is high.

I'm looking forward to seeing "highest attainable score"--the nature of the game is such that it isn't obvious how high of a score you can get without extensive replays.

Survive with the most toys, October 27, 2018
"I'm not a high score seeker," I thought. "This isn't my type of game." But I still ended up replaying it dozens of times and taking notes to get the best score I could (I got (Spoiler - click to show)1330 on my own and (Spoiler - click to show)1579 after reading a hint from the author for a certain treasure). What won me over was a combination of the charming writing style and the well-implemented mechanic of water rising up through the levels of a sinking ship. Well, really, the ship is sinking down into the water, but you get the idea. I also liked how the map emphasizes height and up/down movement between layers. Even within individual rooms, some treasures are at different heights so they disappear under the water at different times.

Still, despite being a cute little game, it's too short and simple to be very interesting. Too much score/turn-counting, not enough puzzles for my taste. I'd have preferred a tricky challenge more like A Change in the Weather. An extra point is deserved for strong writing and implementation, but I'm omitting my rating from the average because I admit it's just not my type of thing.
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

If you enjoyed Captain Verdeterre's Plunder...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Captain Verdeterre's Plunder, or gave both high ratings:

The Curse of the Scarab, by Nils Fagerburg
Archeology licenses are for suckers, not for Rhoda Tarcrew. But now the authorities are closing in and there's only time for one last dig before you have to flee the country. Better make it count.

Chicks Dig Jerks, by Robb Sherwin
"An ancient evil threatens to invade a decadent mountain town, yet all that concerns young grave robber Avandre Varick is hitting on gorgeous babes." [--blurb from Competition '99]

Nouns, by Andrew Plotkin
A hypertext fiction based on the They Might Be Giants song of the same name.

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best fantasy games by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that include some sort of magical or fantastical element. Games with mostly horror or sci-fi elements are on other lists, as are surreal games, fairy tale/nursery games, and religious/mythological games. I've...

Cute games by MathBrush
These are games which are cute and/or sweet, in the sense that they are pleasant, relaxing, appropriate for children, or meant to warm your heart. This doesn't include absurdist games or more traditional fairy tales with strong elements...

IF Playlist for the Brontoboards by Molly
This is a list I created as a general guide to interactive fiction for a thread I'm making on Brontoforumus. I'm trying to give a good overview to both parser IF (usually called "text adventures") and choice-based IF (or...

The following polls include votes for Captain Verdeterre's Plunder:

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

Great games that consist of a single puzzle by Spike
I'm looking for well-designed and challenging games that revolve around solving a single puzzle. The puzzle may have multiple parts, but the whole game needs to be essentially about solving that single puzzle.

Nautical IF by Felix Larsson
I know there was a couple of commercial high-sea text adventures. Now I am on the look-out for ‘modern’, post-commercial IF with a nautical theme. As far as I can tell, there is a definite shortage of bucaneers, boatswains, able seamen...

This is version 11 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 10 November 2020 at 9:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item