Play online
A very pretty version hosted at the author's website.
Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre
French translation by Hugo Labrande

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder

by Ryan Veeder profile

You should carry the bag. I'm more of a delegator.

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
IFID: E4AEBEE7-5B50-4CE1-B0E5-4308EE994826
TUID: 8u5me2jkkw3icqa9

Translated to French in Le butin du Capitaine Verdeterre, by Ryan Veeder

4th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner, Best Individual NPC - 2013 XYZZY Awards

News

French Translation February 28, 2014
Expand all | Add a news item

Very clever "open-ended' game, December 7, 2013
This is a very clever and easily re-playable game.

Too much description would spoil the pleasures in it--be prepared to play several times, interacting, examining, and testing different things.

Narratively it is a very funny game. Descriptions are well-written, red herrings are nicely done, and the sense of exploration is high.

I'm looking forward to seeing "highest attainable score"--the nature of the game is such that it isn't obvious how high of a score you can get without extensive replays.

Survive with the most toys, October 27, 2018
"I'm not a high score seeker," I thought. "This isn't my type of game." But I still ended up replaying it dozens of times and taking notes to get the best score I could (I got (Spoiler - click to show)1330 on my own and (Spoiler - click to show)1579 after reading a hint from the author for a certain treasure). What won me over was a combination of the charming writing style and the well-implemented mechanic of water rising up through the levels of a sinking ship. Well, really, the ship is sinking down into the water, but you get the idea. I also liked how the map emphasizes height and up/down movement between layers. Even within individual rooms, some treasures are at different heights so they disappear under the water at different times.

Still, despite being a cute little game, it's too short and simple to be very interesting. Too much score/turn-counting, not enough puzzles for my taste. I'd have preferred a tricky challenge more like A Change in the Weather. An extra point is deserved for strong writing and implementation, but I'm omitting my rating from the average because I admit it's just not my type of thing.
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

Enjoyable, repeatable optimization minigame, February 3, 2016
This game would work great as a text adventure (which it is), a point-and-click, a sidescroller, and frankly just about anything.

You are stuck with a rat captain and have to get out of sinking ship as fast as possible, grabbing whatever treasure you can. There are some mild puzzles (and probably some harder ones I couldn't figure out), but mostly you just try to figure out what's worth saving.

This is pretty fun. I enjoyed spending a ton of turns trying to get an obscure object only to discover it was completely worthless. Sometimes things are not what they seem (diamonds in the rough) and sometimes they are what they seem (dirt clods in the rough).

Lots of fun, and super short (to maximize replay value). I recommend a few playthroughs for fun.

If you enjoyed Captain Verdeterre's Plunder...

People who like Captain Verdeterre's Plunder also gave high ratings to these games:

Tourist Trap, by Iain Merrick

Lancelot, by Christina Erskin, Joan Lamb, Neil Scrimgeour, Dicken Peeke, Nusarath Jahan, Mike Austin, Nick Austin, John Jones-Steele, and Mike Bryant
Lancelot recreates the tales of Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, as told in Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur. Parts 1 and 2 follow Lancelot's arrival at Camelot, his rise to become the best knight in the world, and the...

Surface, by Geoff Moore
A Spring Thing 2014 entry. Surface should play in all modern browsers, however Chrome and Safari are recommended as text and image fades may not display properly in other browsers.

Captain Verdeterre's Plunder appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best fantasy games by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that include some sort of magical or fantastical element. Games with mostly horror or sci-fi elements are on other lists, as are surreal games, fairy tale/nursery games, and religious/mythological games. I've...

Great "lunchtime length" games by MathBrush
These are games that can generally be completed in 30 minutes or less. Some can be completed much faster. Included in this list are games that have multiple endings that can individually be reached quickly. It also includes several Twiny...

Cute games by MathBrush
These are games which are cute and/or sweet, in the sense that they are pleasant, relaxing, appropriate for children, or meant to warm your heart. This doesn't include absurdist games or more traditional fairy tales with strong elements...

The following polls include votes for Captain Verdeterre's Plunder:

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

Games with high replay value by Wendymoon
What games do you find yourself returning to again and again? Maybe to get every last lousy point, to do some amusing things, to try for different endings or just for the enjoyment of replaying?

Games with NPCs that tag along by Ghalev
List here any games that feature a (preferably memorable!) "sidekick" character - an NPC who follows the viewpoint character around for most or all of the game, as per Floyd in Planetfall or Trent/Tiffany in Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 19 May 2014 at 10:13am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item