Play online
Play the game online, or download it. (The downloadable disk-image of the game requires a BBC Micro emulator. Refer to the game's documentation for details.)

Return of the Diamond

by R. McGregor

1983

A very short, type-in game in which you have to find the Great Diamond and return it to Diamond Castle.

Publishing history (from the Complete BBC Micro Games Archive): Published in Beebug magazine, volume 2, issue 2, in June 1983. Published in Elbug magazine, volume 1, issue 2, in December 1983. Published in the book Games And Other Programs For The Acorn Electron from Penguin Books in December 1983. Published on the 8BS Public Domain disc 60 in December 1997. Later published on the 8BS Public Domain disc TBI-93.

First Publication Date: June 2, 1983
License: Public Domain
Development System: BBC BASIC
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
TUID: 8pfwxuyp4rzlnwgt

A Basic Text Adventure, in BASIC, August 1, 2020
by J. J. Guest (London, England)
I first encountered Return of the Diamond in a book called "Games and other programs for the Acorn Electron", published by Penguin Books.

The game is very simple, with just nine locations. It does, however, contain all the basics of a simple parser game. There is a light source puzzle, basic combat and an inventory limit. It can be quite frustrating to play, and despite its size, it took me two or three tries to beat it.

Return of the Diamond is significant for me as it was the first example I found of how a text adventure could be coded. It became the basis of all the games I would write in BBC Basic, and in time I learned to expand the two-word parser into four, and make many other improvements. I would find better examples in time, mostly in the pages of Electron User magazine, but this was the game that got me into programming and writing IF.

Return of the Diamond on IFDB

Return of the Diamond appears in the following Recommended Lists:

I Was A Teenage Adventure Gamer by J. J. Guest
I grew up playing IF on the Acorn Electron, and later the BBC Master Compact. My aim here is to create a complete list of all the games that were in my collection back in the 8-bit era. It is not a Recommended List as such. Most of the...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Anthony Hope on 1 August 2020 at 7:12am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item