volcano.gam

by Paul DeWitt

2001

IFID: TADS2-668AFCF2A957BEF60D7544538189F577
TUID: 8d5mggdejozxp0kk

42nd Place - 7th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2001)

Now this is what I call an adventure! Volcano Isle is a traditional TADS text adventure which has got everything an adventure should have - an evil guy to defeat, treasure to collect, good scenery, a tree to climb, a maze, and a great ending. There are a few nods to other games which you'll recognise ... I just loved it.

Volcano Isle, with its sparse implementation, mindreader puzzles, maze, and inventory limit, annoyed me greatly. The game clearly wants to pay homage to Zork -- that suspicious-looking individual carries a "vicious-looking stiletto"; there are various treasures to collect, and a place to deposit them; there's a tree to climb, a rope to descend, and, of course, a maze. Unfortunately, the whole thing ended up feeling like an amateurish copy of something that was a) more than the sum of its parts because of quality implementation and writing, and b) interesting because it was doing some of these things for the first time rather than the 500th. Volcano Isle is neither.

An old-school game with changing colors about collecting treasures, July 16, 2017
This game is kind of a mish-mash of things, with a seedy individual like the thief in Zork, and a plot about collecting treasures.

I knew I was in trouble when I found myself in Maze Room 1. It was even worse when I discovered that the walkthrough didn't help here due to the maze being randomized.

There were some fun action sequences later on, but the game was too underclued to be easily completable.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 6 April 2013 at 6:52am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item