Amazon

by Michael Crichton

Part of Telarium
Adventure
1984

The Amazon jungle. Volcanic, dangerous, still unexplored. Home of the jaguar. The alligator. Two hundred species of poisonous snakes. And nataives whose culinary habits, while only rumored, make you very uncomfortable. Why, you wonder, would anyone want you to go there?

there's no time for questions right now. Because right now you're in the Communications Control Room of your new employer: National Satellite Resource Technology, a top-secret, high-tech research consulting firm. And at NSRT, things happen fast.

Standing in the control room, you watch an anxiously-awaited satellite transmission just coming in from the Amazon field team - the team you've been hired to help. As you watch the transmission, you realize that something is terribly wrong. No ordinary person could bear to watch what you see on the screen before you.

But you didn't get the job as special agent for NSRT by being ordinary - it took remarkable instincts, a coolly analytical mind, and a superlative skill with computers. They are abilities that have gotten you far. But as you go to receive the details of your first assignment, you realize that those same abilities are going to have to get you a lot farther - and very soon, at that.

License: Commercial (Out of Print)
Development System: Dos
TUID: 88qp1exvnf9yn8xt

Good game despite its age, April 16, 2019
by Denk
Related reviews: Telarium
This game was written by best-selling novelist Michael Crichton in 1983 and published by Telarium in 1984. Luckily the quality of this very old game is high. It is a two-word parser but I never felt that I had to guess-the-verb. However, the manual, which can be found online, contains a verb list which shows what verbs are accepted. It is recommended to read the manual before playing. More over, the game comes with a so-called N.S.R.T.Field map which is required to complete the game. This map can also be found online.

Since there are no modern interpreters for Telariums games, you will need to download an emulator. The game is available for Apple II, Apple Macintosh, Atari ST, Commodore 64 and MS-DOS. I chose to play with a commodore 64 emulator. The other machines are probably faster but I just ran the emulator at approximately 5 times normal speed and so, the game ran at a decent speed.

As the title implies, you are going to the Amazon jungle. The purpose is to find treasure within the lost city of Chak. All puzzles were fair and you quickly stumble upon a humorous sidekick NPC, which helps you on your way. The game has some primitive but still atmospheric graphics and sound effects. Some people may find the game too easy. There are however 3 difficulty levels. I am not the strongest player so I took the easiest difficulty level (novice). As a consequence, I only needed to consult a walkthrough once and I completed the game in about 5-6 hours.

This is the first Telarium game I have played and it was a very positive experience so I am looking forward to try the other seven Telarium games.

If you enjoyed Amazon...

People who like Amazon also gave high ratings to these games:

Kaged, by Ian Finley
""But my madness speaks: It will but skin and film the ulcerous place, Whilst rank corruption, mining all within, Infects unseen." Welcome to the Citadel of Justice. The Inquisitor is waiting." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

The Rocket Man From The Sea, by Janos Honkonen
On the old pilot station island, where you live with your parents, the war fought with Earth and Martian rocket-ships and Atomic Heat Rays exist only in the sonorous voice of the newscaster on the radio, and as food for your imagination....

Kicker, by Pippin Barr

The following polls include votes for Amazon:

First IF that you have ever played by BlitzWithGuns
What is the first IF that you have ever played? The game that made you love the concept of IF?

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Denk on 16 April 2019 at 6:36pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item