Moons and Waves

by Merritt Kopas

Autobiographical game about trauma and healing. Also contains an ARG designed to be solved by one specific person.

License: Free
TUID: 8664ujdcrc40sagm

Deeply personal, December 15, 2013
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
This Twine narrative by Merritt Kopas is a stellar example of how the interactive medium can communicate things that a standard book or poem or treatise cannot. It's kind of a standard thing Twine has become - a place where people with poetry or just imagery can write it out and sort of get things off their chest.

This one is extremely well done. There are pauses built in, and some ambiguity about whether you are supposed to click something or not at times, but this serves to make the incident that Merritt Kopas relays feel like a very personal telling, with all the hesitation and occasional tangents that might be interjected into having words with a friend who will listen.

There are also times when the script spawned another window full of what appears to be twee/twinecode. I am unsure if this was supposed to happen this way, but seeing the Twine broken out and reading some of the English sentences within the code I think supplement the personal feeling in that I was reading behind the fourth wall and seeing what Merritt actually wrote behind the flash of html. I hope I was supposed to be seeing the code and it wasn't just a glitch.

This is not a game so much as a short experience where you can connect with the author and perhaps empathize or sympathize with raw feeling and experience put forth. I can't say I really enjoy this type of presentation in itself and hope to read lots more of them...but the piece is definitely worth a read if you enjoy raw image-filled prose poetry that can exist in an artist's head.

If you enjoyed Moons and Waves...

People who like Moons and Waves also gave high ratings to these games:

ALL I WANT IS FOR ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO BECOME INSANELY POWERFUL, by Porpentine
happy valentwine's day please turn on your speakers and your monitor and your mouse and your keyboard when you play this thank you

♥Arachne♥, by fractoluminous
It's about weaving, stories, hacking, magic & gender.

CRUSH, by Thom Scullion
A romantic/comedy about love in the Digital Age; your crush appears online, and its up to you to not come across like a total creep!

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Leon Arnott on 14 December 2013 at 11:58pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item