Basilicadesangre.quest
Story file for the Quest interpreter. http://textadventures.​co.​uk/​quest
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Basilica de Sangre

by Bitter Karella

What's a demon to do? Your mother has been missing for weeks. Rumor has it that she's being held prisoner in the infamous convent Basilica de Sangre. They say no demon has ever escaped from Basilica de Sangre. That's not encouraging. But you're going to find her and rescue her, no matter how many nuns you have to possess!

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
Development System: Quest
TUID: 81bdgurpjldfd0nt

11th Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

A Quest comedy about possessing nuns to rescue your mother, February 19, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This is a fairly hefty Quest game in Bitter Karella's characteristic style: goofy characters, classic TAKE/DROP/LOOK gameplay, vivid settings.

You play as a "level 2 succubus" from the pits of tartarus, trying to find your mother who has been kidnapped by nuns.

The twist to this game is that you can possess all of the characters, each granting you different abilities and sometimes even changing the appearance of the game itself.

Quest always has some problems that make it not quite as responsive as inform, but Bitter Karella handles it well. I strongly recommend downloading for offline play, as the servers can get tied up.

A light-hearted puzzle comedy with a clever primary mechanic, November 24, 2018
Basilica de Sangre is a medium-length puzzle-based comedy. You play as a demon trying to rescue your mother, who has been captured and held prisoner by a convent of nuns.

It reminds me a lot of the other game of Bitter Karella's that I've played, last year's Guttersnipe: St. Hesper's Asylum for the Criminally Mischievous. Both games were written with Quest. Both feature the same irreverent sense of humor that pokes fun at authority but never comes across as mean-spirited. Even the puzzle styles felt similar. I did manage to solve Basilica de Sangre without hints, though, and that wasn't the case for Guttersnipe. I think that's partly due to the design of Basilica and partly just good fortune on my part.

To continue the comparison, while I enjoyed Guttersnipe, I do think Basilica de Sangre is a better game. The puzzles are a little better-clued. Mainly, though, I think Basilica is better because of the main puzzle mechanic: Since you're a demon, you can possess any human character you meet in the game. This means that many of the puzzles entail figuring out which character has the attribute you need to achieve your current goal. It's also fun to speak to all the other characters while in the body of particular character. The responses are amusing and often give you clues about the puzzles.

I'm a fan of a simple puzzle mechanic used in multiple ways, and Basilica's primary mechanic achieves that.

My favorite line in the game occurs when you finally reunite with your mother. It weaves the mother/child relationship together with the fact that you're both demons in a manner perfectly in keeping with the game's overall tone. It made me laugh out loud.

I also enjoyed the final climactic scene. I wouldn't call it a plot twist, but it was somewhat unexpected and even kind of appropriate from an IF standpoint.

If you're a fan of Bitter Karella's other games or just enjoy irreverent, light-hearted puzzle comedies, you should play Basilica de Sangre.

If you enjoyed Basilica de Sangre...

People who like Basilica de Sangre also gave high ratings to these games:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams and Steve Meretzky
Don't Panic! Relax, because everything you need to know about playing The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is contained in the pages of this manual. In this story, you will be Arthur Dent, a rather ordinary earth creature who gets swept...

Charming, by Kaylah Facey
Potions shattered on the floor, pages torn out of books, a demolished statue... These are a few of the magical messes you will have to clean up before Enchantress Igmenta arrives for your coming-of-age test tonight. Unfortunately, you've...

The Lurking Horror, by Dave Lebling
A winter night at the G.U.E. tech campus with most students away on vacation serves as the backdrop for this tale of Lovecraftian horror.

Basilica de Sangre appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best of Quest by Denk
There are lots of Quest games, some better than others. These are my favourites:

My new walkthroughs for December 2018 by David Welbourn
On Friday, December 28, 2018, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

The following polls include votes for Basilica de Sangre:

I Am You: Games involving possession of another character by Spike
Three games I've played in the past couple of months have featured the PC's ability to possess other characters as a primary or secondary game mechanic. What other IF works feature this possession mechanic?

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Overall NPCs of 2018 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2018 which you think might be worth considering for Best NPCs in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest games...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Setting of 2018 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2018 which you think might be worth considering for Best Setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 28 December 2018 at 10:34am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item