Island in the Storm

by JSMaika

A storm blows you course, leaving you stranded on an unfamiliar island. You need to repair your boat, so you can sail home, but you soon find that more lives than just yours are in your hands.

Explore the island. Talk to its inhabitants. Uncover the mystery of the storm that brought you here. Escaping alive is not as straightforward as it may initially seem.

Island in the Storm is the first full length game created with the IntFicPy engine. You can read about the engine at http://jsmaika.com/ifp_engine.php if you are interested, but the executable files included in the competition package (Windows & Mac) do not require any interpreter. The Python file is also included, for those who prefer that format.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Development System: IntFicPy
TUID: 7y9nwrf067axeqkh

A game showcasing a powerful new IF engine. A magical island, October 9, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game showcase a new parser, which usually makes me skeptical.

But I was very impressed with this IntFicPy game.

Pros of the engine: Smoothness! It looked fabulous, typing in and scrolling up and down felt natural and very nice, saving and loading was easy. Different text colors worked well, timers, changing room descriptions, conversation was implemented. Many of the hard problems were dealt with well.

Cons of the engine: Could do with some better synonym handling, and especially pronouns (IT, SHE, HER, etc.) It felt sometimes like it was just reading a part of my command and not all of it.

Game wise, I love the worldbuilding here. Not such a huge fan of timers, but it seems forgiving until the endgame. I did well in the first part and then hit a big bump sending me straight to the walkthrough for the rest of the game (finding money was the bump, I think, and I could have solved that, but then the commands I saw seemed intimidating).

You play as a newcomer to a dangerous magical island where the Storm kills all who dare approach, except for you. You go about the island seeking to repair your boat and discovering a village with a large religion.

A good showcase for the new engine. Online play would be a huge boon, though.

If you enjoyed Island in the Storm...

People who like Island in the Storm also gave high ratings to these games:

The Unofficial Sea-Monkey(R) Simulation, by B.J. Best
Sometime during 1987, your father comes home from work--late, as usual. He tosses a small box onto the kitchen counter. "Here," he says, "you wanted fish. You get these. Let's see how you do first, and then maybe we'll get a real tank."

Cup of Frost, Palm of Gold, by Emma Osborne

Three-Card Trick, by Chandler Groover
You're going to perform a three-card trick or your name isn't Morgan the Magnificent.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 5 October 2019 at 10:36pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item