Into the Lair

by Kenna

You're standing in the silent graveyard, by the entrance to the crypt Wil pulled you out of when she rescued you. The sky grows brighter and brighter behind you; soon, it'll be too light outside for you to stand it. You're terrified, and excited, to go back in.

You'll sleep easier after the task is done - or you'll be dead, really truly dead, and it won't matter.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
TUID: 7y6vegcij7atrdiv

43rd Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

Atmospheric game in which you play as a vampire, November 23, 2018
Into the Lair is a choice-based story in which you play as a vampire. Out for revenge against another vampire, you must enter his lair and perform your choice of three tasks. These are not mutually exclusive, though: On my playthrough I completed two of those tasks and partially completed the third.

Playing this game brought back some of the same feelings I had reading the better of those old Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books as a kid. Something like "You're walking down a corridor deep underground. There's a sound coming from the side tunnel to the left. Up ahead the main tunnel appears to fork. One branch features well-set stone, and the other has a dirt floor. Which do you choose?"

It's atmospheric and it pulls you in. I found myself hesitating before making each decision because the game led me to feel like my choices actually mattered.

However, I eventually discovered that this turns out not to be entirely the case. The story repeatedly lets you backtrack during your trek through the lair. I liked that from a playability standpoint, although it did take away some of my feeling of agency. (To be fair, this is also something that many of those old CYOA books allowed you to do.)

My major criticism of the game is that it felt too abrupt at the end - anticlimactic, even. But I enjoyed it overall.

Into the Lair is horror-themed, and it does feature vampires, but I wouldn't have trouble recommending it to ten-year-olds who like adventure stories. Adults can enjoy it, too, of course.

If you enjoyed Into the Lair...

People who like Into the Lair also gave high ratings to these games:

Don't Read the Comments, by Ashton Raze
Short, amusing riff on the niche-audience building capabilities of the internet and the problems with comments.

Wolfgirls in Love, by Kitty Horrorshow
two wolves go out for a night on the town CW: violence, contains music (see if you can keep the rhythm!)

Strayed, by Adventure Cow
Strayed is a dark, atmospheric tale in the tradition of Stephen King or Dean R. Koontz. You're only fifteen miles from home; but those fifteen miles are a lonely road through woods drenched in mystery, that many locals dare not enter....

Into the Lair appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best fantasy games by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that include some sort of magical or fantastical element. Games with mostly horror or sci-fi elements are on other lists, as are surreal games, fairy tale/nursery games, and religious/mythological games. I've...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 23 November 2018 at 2:27pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item