Source code included in the JACL 2 distribution

The Unholy Grail

by Stuart Allen profile

Espionage/Science Fiction
1997

Strange, unexplained deaths have been occuring in the marine life surrounding a remote island military base and you have been sent to investigate. Your investigation will ultimately lead you to the other side of the world where you will uncover the secrets behind a sinister plot to find The Unholy Grail.

Current Version: Release 2 / build 3 / Copyright 2008
License: GPL
Development System: JACL
IFID: JACL-002
TUID: 7p2rxk0e667yraf2

15th Place - 3rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (1997)

You're a scientist investigating the mysterious demise of lots of local marine life, which leads you to Sinister Conspiracies and such. Slow-starting--it's not initially clear what you should be doing--and hampered by some unfortunate game design choices, notably a remarkably tedious sequence involving 80 turns of travel to and from a certain location, but it's also well-written and the puzzles are reasonably original. It's not incredibly realistic, but the sinister-conspiracy genre doesn't really thrive on realism anyway. JACL, the game engine, isn't the equal of Inform or TADS, but it's pretty good for a homebrewed effort.

-- Duncan Stevens

Playing Unholy Grail puts me in mind of the old saw about the glass being half-full or half-empty. For each positive I can think of, a counterbalancing negative also comes to mind. While the prose creates sharp, clear, atmospheric images, it is also burdened with numerous grammar and spelling errors. While the game had an inventive plot, this same plot was punctuated with moments of tediousness, implausibility, and pure frustration. And while Grail is orders of magnitude better than Allen's 1996 entry Curse of Eldor, it still fails to realize both its own potential and that of its author.

An interesting marine biologist spy thriller, July 5, 2017
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game uses the relatively unknown JACL engine, but it plays pretty well.

This game is a sleeper hit; I hadn't heard of it, but it's well-put-together. You are on a floating scientific base on a small island that has experienced a recent die-off of fish, and a loss of all juvenile population. You are brought in from the outside to what is essentially a military situation.

The game has espionage, science, etc. Some of the puzzles are unfair a bit, but the game responds well to things you attempt to do, and contains a number of action scenes.

If you enjoyed The Unholy Grail...