To access Flint, you must have a Fallen London account, and you may then buy access to the story from the Fate page.

Flint

by Alexis Kennedy and Failbetter Games

Part of Fallen London

'The Old Hound waits in her stall, forelimbs folded, eyes deep and sad. Strings of glass jewels glimmer and clash. A flower-scent rises from the incense tripod. "Best," she groans. "Best wares."'

'Someone has despoiled the stump of a granary with graffiti. "KHANATE SWINE", they have daubed on the wall. "HORSE LUMPERS" "SHIP CROWS" "FOX BITERS" "ARSE-FISH". Many of the sentiments are obscure, but few seem positive, and there is definitely a zoological theme.'

'The surface of a mirror-dark pool trembles. The shadows beneath the trees bend and quiver. The forest shakes. Blood drips from the branches. Salamanders slink hissing from the grass. Tiger-heads break the pool's surface. "War," a voice cries. "War!"'

We're opening the Elder Continent to visitors for the first time. See the story-haunted port of Apis Meet. Visit the hundred-tongued city of Caution. Mount an expedition into the Bleeding Forest, where bee-stings kill with melancholy; and discover whether the pretender-god called the Thief-of-Faces still lies bound in its Prison of Flint...

Flint is a special Christmas treat: a two-part Truly Exceptional Story. Part I opened in October, and Part II is live now. It's the single largest piece of content ever released in Fallen London, and it may be the last bit of FL content I write - Paul now refuses to leave me alone in a room with a keyboard, since I have proven completely incapable of staying within content budget.

Subscribing to Exceptional Friendship will give you access to Parts I and II. Subscribers had early access to the first part of the story in November. If you've been supporting us since November, thank you very much! We hope you've enjoyed it.

First Publication Date: December 1, 2015
License: Commercial
Development System: StoryNexus
TUID: 7npp6z14uwv4n2q

The premier fate-locked story of Fallen London, September 24, 2018
Related reviews: about 2 hours
I had played Fallen London for over a year before I purchased Flint. It is the most expensive story of Fallen London, one of the older ones, and most likely the longest.

Flint is split into two portions. The first ended faster than I thought it would. It mostly consisted of preparing for a trip. However, despite the fast-ish ending (which was still long; the first half felt as long as some exceptional stories), many interesting things happened. The game plunges into deep lore that explains so much of the game (including the prison), nets you cool items/people, and has some exciting action sequences.

The second sequence was longer, and had several lucrative opportunities, and ended in some highly unusual and unique interactions that I found poignant and touching, and which feels like one of the most important events possible in the life of a character.

The story ends with both strong lore rewards and strong in-game monetarial awards.

If you enjoyed Flint...