+ = x

by Chandler Groover profile

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

- IanAllenBird, March 12, 2019

A twisted Texture tale. Short and obscure, a sci fi story, March 12, 2019
This was a controversial IFComp game. Chandler Groover, known for writing well-received games with dense, descriptive writing, released a short and cryptic game for IFComp.

After listening to the author talk, and playing it myself, I now think I know what it's all about.

The clear part is that there is a fortune telling machine. People are 'added', which summons them to the machine. There, they are either equalized or multiplied.

After finding the easter egg, I realized on my most recent playthrough:

(Spoiler - click to show)The fortune telling machine is the engine for a spaceship/planet. Each person who is 'multiplied' is erased from existence. The energy from erasing them is used to rewrite the timeline to one where the planet is in another space. Movement by not moving, just changing the timestream.

Figuring this out made me like it more, otherwise I'd give it a 3. Nice presentation and good use of the Texture format.

I still don't know what being Equalized means.

- Greg Frost (Seattle, Washington), December 21, 2018

- Pseudavid, November 20, 2018

- AKheon (Finland), November 20, 2018

- Spike, November 20, 2018

Datalexic

The story is able to leverage its unique take on interactivity to enrich its dystopian satire, allowing the reader to share first hand in the helplessness of its unlucky characters. It succeeds because its interactive elements remain invisible and fluid as they integrate seamlessly with the themes of the underlying piece of short fiction.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

Kirjallinen suunnistaja

Groover tarjoaa vinksahtaneita ja absurdeja näkymiä, mutta tällä kertaa hyvin pelkistetyssä ja lyhyessä muodossa. Teoksen muoto ja sisältö vastaavat yksinkertaisella tavalla toisiaan: Texturen "lappuset" ovat ennustuskoneen nielemiä kortteja, joita lukija syöttää sisään henkilöhahmon puolesta. Leikkisää, mutta sanoisinko oivaltavaksi? Ehkä, mutta teoksen filosofinen ulottuvuus jäi minulle hämäräksi.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), November 16, 2018

- Doug Orleans (Somerville, MA, USA), November 12, 2018

- Jacob MacDonald, November 12, 2018

- Pegbiter (Malmö, Sweden), October 30, 2018

Short and weird, October 19, 2018
Kind of an interesting premise, but in the end it is just a quick 15 minute game where nothing really happens. Your choices don't feel like they make any difference. Certainly not as good as "Eat Me".

- Nomad, October 14, 2018