Disenchantment Bay

by Jacqueline A Lott (with a head start from Emily Short) profile profile

Humor Travel Nature

From the about text:

"The Inform 7 examples collectively known as Disenchantment Bay were born of a trip that Emily Short made with Dan Shiovitz to Alaska to visit me and Sam Kabo Ashwell, many years ago. 2004, I believe it was. We chartered a boat from the Yakutat Charter Boat Company to visit Hubbard Glacier, and before heading home we scooped up some bits of glacier ice for the creation of fancy mixed drinks once back on shore."

First Publication Date: January 6, 2013
IFID: F1B009C5-E955-46FD-92DD-1B4A61F319B1
TUID: 6y6sfwfk3cezl8gf

Entrant - The ultimate not numbered New Year's Speed IF

Just Chillin', February 23, 2020
A short and sweet game detailing a fictionalised trip to the Hubbard glacier, based on Emily Short's Disenchantment Bay example from Inform 7's docs.
The central puzzle is still the same but it has been fleshed out with all kinds of little environmental details to help bring the scene to life. Including some extra dialogue from the Captain. And a few general improvements to make the game easier to play.
I do wish that the characterisation had been taken further, and the dialogue a bit more polished before release, but I recognise the author was working under very limited time constraints. (Spoiler - click to show)And I did laugh at the Captain's silly joke about Titanic.
The real star of the show is actually the glacier itself. Which now feels much more vibrant than in the original piece. It's a constant presence as you move around the ship.
(Spoiler - click to show)There's also a fun new twist at the end which, while easily resolved, does add excitement to what is, essentially, a relaxed slice-of-life game.

All in all, a nice little 20-minute diversion.

If you enjoyed Disenchantment Bay...

People who like Disenchantment Bay also gave high ratings to these games:

Aisle, by Sam Barlow
"Late Thursday night. You've had a hard day and the last thing you need is this: shopping. Luckily, the place is pretty empty and you're progressing rapidly. On to the next aisle... Aisle started out as a game which would not need the...

the morning after, by verityvirtue
It's been a long night. We've not had a proper sleep. But we seize this moment of peace. Made for the Tiny Utopias jam.

9:05, by Adam Cadre
The phone rings. Oh, no how long have you been asleep? Sure, it was a tough night, but... This is bad. This is very bad. The phone rings.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Zape on 25 May 2020 at 6:04pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item