The Minimalist
Play online at textadventures.​co.​uk

The Minimalist

by Mark Cook

Puzzle

The final version of my entry in the 26th 48 hour ludum dare.

The theme is minimalism.

A mystery puzzle game set aboard a peculiar flying monolith.

I hope you enjoy my game.

First Publication Date: April 27, 2013
Development System: quest
IFID: 66327544-1D5A-4754-8966-5453C5FF624A
TUID: 6x528noxhabi3aeu

Good one, January 17, 2014
by Simon Deimel (Germany)
All in all a very good game with a tight story, probably influenced by the Matrix movies. Considering the short time in which it was assembled we can overlook missing implementations and little inaccuracies (there should not be the possibility to drop a tattoo, for instance). Regarding the fact that Quest was used for creating this game, I instantly tried the "use a on/with b" command when I did not find the required synthax, and mostly it turned out to be what the program was waiting for (as opposed to Inform, Quest contains "use" as a standard verb). For instance, in a certain situation I was unable to put one thing into a container, but instead could use it on the latter; or I could not enter a certain device, but use it instead.

The game contains two endings and I discovered the bad one first -- the game then mentions that there is a better ending and suggests further investigation, so replay is encouraged.

The puzzles are quite logic and once you get accustomed to the "use a on/with b" command, you can easily make progress. I recommend this game to everyone who likes a short science fiction story and does not back off from the mechanics (which sometimes may appear unusual to many gamers).

If you enjoyed The Minimalist...

People who like The Minimalist also gave high ratings to these games:

Suveh Nux, by David Fisher
An entry in the 2007 One Room Game Competition. You play a magician's servant who gets trapped in your master's vault; you'll need to learn some of his tricks if you want to get out.

All Things Devours, by half sick of shadows
From the game's about command: "All Things Devours is a short piece of interactive fiction, leaning strongly towards the text-adventure end of the spectrum. It explores an all-too-familiar science fiction paradigm in what I hope is a...

Everybody Dies, by Jim Munroe
It starts with a metalhead, Graham, realizing that throwing that shopping cart over the bridge was not the great idea he thought it was. Even if it did get him out of washroom duty at Cost Cutters. Illustrated by Michael Cho. Took third...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by textadventures.co.uk robot on 23 May 2013 at 10:26am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item