PUTPBAA.z5
putpbaa.sol
list of endings

Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle

by David Dyte, Steve Bernard, Dan Shiovitz profile, Iain Merrick, Liza Daly profile, John Cater, Ola Sverre Bauge, J. Robinson Wheeler profile, Jon Blask profile, Dan Schmidt, Stephen Granade profile, Rob Noyes, and Emily Short profile

Satire
2001

IFID: ZCODE-2-010618-0BB7
TUID: 6vej1yd9quwfm9qn

Spoof of Pick Up The Phone Booth And Die, by Rob Noyes
Spoof of Aisle, by Sam Barlow

Nominee, Best Use of Medium - 2001 XYZZY Awards

Take the structure of the poetic and experimental one-move game Aisle, combine with the premise and stupidity of the one-gag game Pick Up the Phone Booth and Die, and add a liberal sprinkling of in-jokes and references to other games. The result: self-indulgent silliness. Sample quotation: "Pants? What pants?"

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

The result is one of the most side-splitting things to ever be uploaded to the IF Archive. Not only do we see the two games mentioned above being ripped to shreds, there are more inside jokes than you can shake a stick at. This has Sins Against Mimesis beaten hands down.
-- Adam Myrow

The Gateway Drug of IF, February 20, 2008
by Michael Martin (Mountain View, California)
Despite being admittedly wholly self-indulgent and packed with in-jokes, this is actually the work of IF that I've had the most success evangelizing with. It's a one-turn game, so there's no investment of time, the large development team means there is an enormous amount of widely varied responses are available, and a half-dozen or so players each on their own copy will end up bouncing off one another's attempts and - in some cases - actually working out a lot of the basics of IF interaction on their own. It's one thing to read up on how to give commands to NPCs in the standard IF idiom; it's another thing entirely to be rewarded by five or six new endings for ordering the booth around.

And even if they don't, a lot of the in-jokes are pretty funny even without the context. I approached this game entirely ignorant of the newsgroups and the general community in question, and not only did it enthrall me for hours, I laughed until I cried at least twice.

* * * You have read a review * * *

Hilariously nonsense, witty, free-roaming fun, August 7, 2008
by Maze (Rome, Italy)
Related reviews: one move
This is one of the games you just download and keep there forever, to give it some more try. One turn (yep, it's a one move game), and then fun ensues. And, other than an "ending", you also get an "ending title" which is overtly funny by it's own.
The guys (and girls) that did this not only have a great nonsense of humor (i felt some heavy Monty Python nostalgia here), but they're also very intelligent. Mix the two: you get a blast. Or better: a one second blast (you won't need much more time to reach an "ending").
Only thing that disappointed me: the beginning ends with "a shiny metal booth sits in the center...". But there's no "Booth, stand" command!!! :-D

Oh so silly!, November 2, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
First I played pick up the phone booth and die. As I began to play this, I had no idea how there could possibly be so many authors. What did the original take, like 10 minutes to program?

But then I tried it. Of course, the responses to the old game's commands were here, and silly. (This game assumes you played the other). Then there are endings for just about whatever you do (or at least whatever I tried to do).

The writing is very clever (and some reminiscent of Monty Python!). What's nice is it's a game about PLAYING, and not WINNING. Just go out and see what they thought of, and what the responses are, instead of trying to get ye flask or finding the torch room, or SUVEH TIA ANI MATO... instead it's just a nice little game to play with, I'd give it my vote for IF game that most resembles a Flash Game you would find on addictinggames.com.

My only regret is that it didn't seem to understand "Dial".

If you enjoyed Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle...

People who like Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle also gave high ratings to these games:

Cheater, by Wesley Osam
"A small game; the only way to win is to literally cheat. Might be difficult for players who aren't familiar with the Inform language debugging verbs." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Ruiness, by Porpentine Charity Heartscape

Thanksgiving, by Hannah Powell-Smith
You're twenty-one. It's dark in here. Thanksgiving is a story game about being an anxious student with secrets, meeting your boyfriend's folks for the first time. And being Judged. Play in your browser on most devices.

Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Danielle's List of Quick, Crazy and Silly IF by Danielle
You'll have to throw out obvious rules, your sanity, or both, for these games.

Great "lunchtime length" games by MathBrush
These are games that can generally be completed in 30 minutes or less. Some can be completed much faster. Included in this list are games that have multiple endings that can individually be reached quickly. It also includes several Twiny...

Games for Handheld Devices by Marius Müller
This (by no means complete list) lists game which are easy to play on Handheld devices, because they require neither extensive note-taking nor mapping.

The following polls include votes for Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle:

Games with amusing deaths by Andrew Schultz
Lots of games have one amusing death, but what games best take the concept and run with it? These deaths could be nudges on messing something up, or even better, or even a nice reward for a reader who is playing attention and notices a...

Trying to find a good comedy. by H. W. Wiliams
I'm hoping to find a good comedy IF title. I've been away for a while and want a good laugh before I head back to work. Any suggestions?

Games centered around a "groundhog day" loop by Merk
Two that come to mind, which I haven't played in years and may be remembering wrong, are Moebius and All Things Devours. Games with fail states, by their nature, fit the bill from a mechanical level, but I'm curious about games where...

This is version 9 of this page, edited by CMG on 21 November 2017 at 4:39pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item