EctoComp 2013 compressed file

A very short game about a strange search engine, June 3, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
Related reviews: choleric
Time to completion: 5-10 minutes

[This game contains a large, unannounced picture of a certain animal - see image files included with the download]

Boogle riffs on Google default messages and online ads to create a creeping sense of dread. The eponymous search engine is an NPC in its own right, which directs your search results to serve its own purposes. It's a mood piece more than a game, really; the story is not particularly fleshed out, but the idea is so very creepy.

This game deserves a mention of multimedia, because it makes ingenious use of otherwise basic Twine functions to replicate familiar sights.

A short, creepy google simulator for halloween, July 16, 2017
In this game, you have a 'brand new' google engine that's spooky: Boogle.

You find out that boogle is more than you expected, in a fairly funny and gruesome sort of way. The surprises are the best part, so I won't describe it much more. Good fun-to-time ratio.

If you enjoyed Boogle...

People who like Boogle also gave high ratings to these games:

Headless, Hapless, by Geoff Moore
It's happened again. You've had a great night riding around, freaking everyone out with your whole headless horseman thing, and you're about to set off for home when you realise you've lost your head. Well, it can't have gotten far......

First Times, by Hero Robb
This is my first foray into IF, so be gentle. I used a simplified language for inputs on this game. You pretty much only need to type look, take, use "whatever" (on "whatever"), go (north/east/south/west), and read. Oh, and I composed...

Splashdown, by Paul J. Furio

Boogle appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

The following polls include votes for Boogle:

Games which take place in chat messenger systems or on a digital interface by grimperfect
Specifically, works where the main mechanic is either exploring a in-game digital interface(ala Secret Little Haven) or communicating using a type of chat/text messenger system(think Emily is Away).

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible NPCs of 2013 by Sam Kabo Ashwell
This poll is a place to suggest non-player characters from games released in 2013, who you think might be worth considering for Best Individual NPC in the XYZZY Awards. Leave the name (or namelessness) of the NPC (or NPCs) in the comment...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by RavenWorks on 15 October 2018 at 12:58pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item