ChildsPlay.zblorb
introcomp06.zip
Contains Child's Play/Child's Play.zblorb
The original Introcomp entry.
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Child's Play

by Stephen Granade profile

Humor/Slice of life
2006

It is playgroup day and playgroup day is normally a good day but ever since that little red-haired girl started coming she always wants your toys.

She shouldn't get your toys.

You tried telling the mom this but she doesn't understand you. She mostly ignored you but then she just shoved a pacifier in your mouth and changed your diaper.

Child's Play was an entry in the 2006 Introcomp, where it took second place. The complete version was released on the 31st of December 2007.

IFIDs:  0EBBDFDA-B7FF-4325-8A6D-3A4E1071EB23
EC5B5EF7-98AA-4972-8253-C6C6A82CC50E
C967D3EE-B0DD-4219-AD57-0C35C4ED782B
TUID: 6a23xff9er4s83pl

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual NPC - 2007 XYZZY Awards

IF-Review
Shall we fall foul for toys?
The star of the game is your nemesis, the little red-haired baby Zoe, who wants your favorite toy. Her behavior is so well-integrated into the rest of the game that it doesn't really stick out as an experiment in goal-seeking behavior or application of AI, but that's a sign of its technical success: Zoe, and to a lesser extent the other children, actively modify the environment and respond to the player's actions, carry out their own small plans, and display personality, without any verbal communication at all.

Jay Is Games
Granade does an excellent job imbuing an adult sort of awareness into the unique mindset of a young child; the protagonist is entirely self-aware (as well as savvy enough to realize that adults will be of no help whatsoever) but must contend with limited abilities (cannot talk, cannot walk, etc). So, instead of relying upon strength or sophistication, you as baby must watch the world around yourself, observe patterns of behavior and learn how to manipulate the other children and adults into doing your will. Surprisingly Machiavellian!

Sometimes it's what you CANT do that shows what you CAN do., April 13, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
That's how I feel about this game. In it you are a baby. You can't talk. You can't walk. You can't even go to the bathroom on command. (Hence the diaper). Yet you're mind is active- you know the diaper is just the MAN'S way of keeping you down.

The writing is very cute, and the plot puts you in the mind of the child. People don't take you seriously, there are in-game reasons why PUNCH NPC doesn't get you a result. You can only carry a couple of items at a time, the smallest inventory limit I've seen, yet still makes the game fun and make sense.

And you have to be smart to figure out how to get at that toy and make sure the little red head doesn't get at it. Very clever!

The writing is great. The parents have silly conversations with each other, and the descriptions of people are great. Definately a fun game with more thought behind it than you might originally think. Long live Alphadog!

So very entertaining!, March 24, 2008
by Grunion Guy (Portland)
This is one of the best IF games I've played in awhile. Well-written with great NPC conversations and well thought out characters. All of the babies have different personalities and attitudes which you must get to know in order to solve the puzzles. The game isn't difficult, mainly because all of the puzzles are actually logical and rely on things you learn as the baby learns. Great humor throughout. (Spoiler - click to show)It's also well worth a 2nd playthrough with the Commentary track on.

I also wrote a Walkthrough for it at: http://www.placesandpredators.com/tads/ChildsPlayWalkthrough.txt

Your PC is a toddler in an epic rivalry with another., February 3, 2016
This was the first truly funny IF game I played, and I remember it was one of my favorites when I first played IF, although I haven't been as interested in replaying it. I didn't understand the work that went into IF at that time; looking back, this game must have taken an enormous amount of effort.

You are a toddler trying to get their favorite toy. Your competition is the red-headed toddler, who is mean and wants the toy, too. You navigate around several toddler NPCs who you can manipulate into different actions and movements. There are also several 'Parent' NPC's who carry on a background conversation (some of the best parts of the game). You can manipulate them as well.

This is a mid-length, semi-linear comedy game. It is split into several acts. The main appeal is the writing, although the puzzles are well-crafted. Even side things are well-implemented; you must drop everything to hold the big plush book because your little hands are too small.

If you enjoyed Child's Play...