Play online
at the author's website.
Download .gblorb

Curse of the Garden Isle

by Ryan Veeder profile

Let's both take a deep breath.

First Publication Date: July 5, 2018
Forgiveness Rating: Extrusive Igneous
IFID: 15E06E8B-23E5-430E-8D36-CD4434FBA2D8
TUID: 666sl6yg7pls5ev

Hawaii Drive-O, September 8, 2018
The current eruption of the Kīlauea volcano in Hawaii has led to lots of speculation that the goddess Pele is back and she's angry. But this game has taught me there is another form of Pele's Curse: if you take any local rocks away with you as souvenirs, bad luck will befall you. This scares the thieving tourists enough that many send the rocks back in the post: as a Hawaii tourist board employee, you need to drive around putting them back in their rightful places.

This is very much a postcard from Hawaii, both in size and style: an excuse to implement a "what I did on my summer vacation" as a text adventure. Not that there's anything wrong with that. "Bolivia By Night" is another really good example of that kind of thing. There is not much to do, puzzles aren't really difficult, and it's short, but well-written throughout.

A short, rocking Hawaiian game, September 25, 2018
This game drew my attention when I discovered that the 'provided map' is just google maps centered on the island of Kauai in the Hawaiian islands.

This is not my favorite Veeder game, but it was enjoyable, both when I played on my own and then later at an IF meetup.

The game as-played seems to have two phases: an exploration phase, and an action phase. I found it necessary to google some locations in the game at different points, and google provided information that helped in some puzzles.

The game offers several methods of interaction, including one that may be time-limited.

If you like this game, I recommend Crocodracula. If you hate this game, I recommend An Evening At Ransom Woodingdean House. If you haven't played this game yet, I recommend Taco Fiction and this game.

If you enjoyed Curse of the Garden Isle...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Curse of the Garden Isle, or gave both high ratings:

Bolivia By Night, by Aidan Doyle
A mystery adventure game set in Bolivia.

The Guild of Thieves, by Rob Steggles
Steal yourself a world of fantasy WHY BUY THIS GAME WHEN YOU CAN STEAL IT ? Except you can't. Not yet. An amateur like you? Come off it! Now, if you were a fully paid-up member of the notorious Guild of Thieves, things would be...

Hunger Daemon, by Sean M. Shore
It's not the end of the world, and you're to blame. Better get on that. But man, it sure would be nice to get a bite to eat first.

The following polls include votes for Curse of the Garden Isle:

Maintained Hall of Fame / High score list by Denk
Maintained Hall of Fame or high score list is a great idea. Let's list those games where a maintained hall of fame/high score list is accessible, either within the game or online.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 5 July 2018 at 3:22pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item