ECTOCOMP 2010
Contains Helsing.taf
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Steve Van Helsing: Process Server

by Mel S

Humor
2010

Bad ass Steve Van Helsing must crash the Wolfman's monster dance party to serve him a subpoena.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2010
Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-400-40908B8025668678576DE3C8293AE9E6
TUID: 648cacnwlv9ugl6g

3rd Place - Ectocomp 2010

ADRIFT Forum
(reviews from ECTOCOMP 2010 judges)

You got served, August 11, 2011
by Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.)
This is pretty well-polished for being Speed IF. The amount of text and depth of implementation makes me wonder if it was actually completed in only three hours.

In the game, you play a monster hunter of sorts. To say much more would give away the game's central joke, but it's suggested in the title. There's a very long prologue -- too long, really -- but it's pretty funny. The gameplay then consists of three rooms and three small puzzles, none of which are terribly taxing. The last of them, however, is extremely finicky about wording. I referred to an object using the name I saw in my inventory (and the name suggested in disambiguation messages), but the game resolutely refused to perform the right action with it until I used different phrasing. This is the sort of thing which happens in Speed IF, I suppose.

On the other hand, it's rare in Speed IF for virtually all the described objects to be implemented, but they are here, so kudos to the author for that. There are even built-in hints, but I didn't find them especially useful, since I knew exactly what I wanted to do; I just couldn't phrase it properly. I was amused by a number of the descriptions, especially Dracula's. I do wonder how anyone could possibly (Spoiler - click to show)dance to Rush's Tom Sawyer.

I would enjoy seeing this expanded to a full-sized game.

Steve Van Helsing: Process Server on IFDB

Steve Van Helsing: Process Server appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games (All English Winners/Entries) by thecanvasrose

The following polls include votes for Steve Van Helsing: Process Server:

Games Where the Title Is You by AKheon
Games with a title that is the same as the main character.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by DB on 8 August 2011 at 9:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item