Ectocomp 2011
Contains Dash Slapney and the Calamitous.zblorb
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter with Blorb support - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Dash Slapney and the Calamitous Candy Corn Cornucopia

by Andrew Schultz profile

Episode 1 of Dash Slapney Speed-IF Gallimaufry
Seasonal
2011

Written for Ectocomp 2011.

A bunch of do-gooders are out to take the chocolate fun out of halloween. You must foil them...without seeming like you did anything right.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2011
IFID: 7BE921A4-DD7F-4C99-9FFE-14B89E29A5D0
TUID: 63k4bs7hb4wwjvpn

5th Place - Ectocomp 2011

Concerned Citizens Against Citizen Concern, November 13, 2011
by Sam Kabo Ashwell (Seattle)
Related reviews: speedIF, comedy
At first glance, this looks like a big pile of crap-IF tropes: a squalid apartment, a detective-type PC, and a narrative voice that lampshades crap-IF tropes and the game's own half-assedness. On closer inspection, the writing turns out to be actually funny a reasonable proportion of the time.

As the titular slob hero, you're tasked with uncovering a busybody conspiracy against Halloween chocolate in a small American town. Sometimes you encourage delinquency and attack fun-hating prigs, but as often you disrupt The Kids instead: the general tone is one of sociopathy born of slacker incompetence. The design approach aims for scale at the expense of detail and smooth play: characters are thrown in and out with wild abandon, a classic adventure-game jump-between-different-areas map is delivered as a high-speed sketch. The gleefully irresponsible action is sort of charming, although it doesn't quite overcome the game's overstretched design.

The main problem with the thing is gameplay, which is at the lower end of speedIF quality. Crucial exits are never mentioned, read-author's-mind abounds, and there's nothing really resembling direction. At times play flows very fast, at others it flounders. There's an in-game walkthrough, however, and not all of the evidence-gathering seems to be strictly necessary.

If you enjoyed Dash Slapney and the Calamitous Candy Corn Cornucopia...

People who like Dash Slapney and the Calamitous Candy Corn Cornucopia also gave high ratings to these games:

The Blind House, by Amanda Allen
I scarcely know the woman at my side. I don't even know why she was the one I turned to. I can only hope that we haven't been followed, that she won't ask too many questions. The only choice left to me now is to trust her.

A Killer Headache, by Mike Ciul
The apocalypse is over. The human race lost. You're hungry. And you have a hell of a headache. Discretionary warning: This game is violent, scatological, and eschatological.

Death off the Cuff, by Simon Christiansen
They all stare at you expectantly, like children waiting to be told a bedtime story. Who can blame them? You are, after all, Antoine Saint Germain, the great French detective. No criminal has ever been a match for you, and everybody is...

Dash Slapney and the Calamitous Candy Corn Cornucopia appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Ectocomp Games by thecanvasrose

This is version 5 of this page, edited by RavenWorks on 15 October 2018 at 12:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item