Weekend at Ruby's

Development System: Quest 5
TUID: 5zx782ofn81a3hlb

8th Place - Spring Thing 2014

Expansive, very well-implemented game taking place a party, April 28, 2014
I've spent a lot of time on this game and barely scratched the surface, so my review may be a bit premature; after 2 hours of play, I've gone through 2 or 3 objectives out of (I assume) a great many, and I'm finding the game play and mimesis engrossing and believable.

The writing occasionally falters; there are more than a few cliches and overly used turns of phrase, but the experience on the whole has been fun and incredibly deep.

This game is a Spring Thing entrant for 2014; while I haven't played all of the entries for this year yet, I suspect this will be among the deepest games in the entry list.

This is a game that invites lengthy and slow exploration. There are dozens of layers, and I believe, deeper and more sophisticated problems than the initial setup of losing the phone number of your love interest.

I don't know how the game will end; I don't know if it is capable of delivering on the exceptional early promise it has shown. I expect it will; the intuitive and player-friendly 'ui' (including objectives list and excellent feedback when you're on the right track) make this one of the most easily navigated parser games I've played in a while.

I was a little put off by the initial barrage of text, but am happy I stuck with it through that; the sheer complexity and depth of this game is reminiscent of classic infocom titles, but without the convoluted verb guesses and noun mismatches that ruin many classic games. This game has a believable and well-implemented world, and I'm happy to spend hours exploring it in a leisurely fashion.

If you enjoyed Weekend at Ruby's...

People who like Weekend at Ruby's also gave high ratings to these games:

Akabane Nights, by Dobromir Harrison
You're a vampire living near Akabane Station in Northern Tokyo. Can you make it through another night unscathed, or will your baser urges give you away? "WARNING: It has bad language, (mild) sexual content and graphic violence. You can...

Hallowmoor, by Mike Snyder
Your quest: infiltrate Castle Hallowmoor, find the potion, and make it out alive. This is a Halloween-themed adventure -- hypertext interactive fiction playable in most modern web browsers.

Sunday Afternoon, by Christopher Huang (as Virgil Hilts)
It's gloriously sunny outside, and you can smell the grass from in here. It's not fair. All the servants have the day off, and you can bet they're not cooped up indoors in their Sunday best. If only there were some way to escape....

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Andrew Schultz on 10 April 2014 at 4:40pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item