The Thing About Dungeons

by Brendan Patrick Hennessy profile

Adventure

Go to the game's main page

Buggy, somewhat Jokey CYOA, January 21, 2016
When I found The Thing About Dungeons at textadventures.co.uk, I'm not sure what I was expecting. Whatever it was, The Thing About Dungeons didn't deliver. Yeah, the text is somewhat humorous. Other than that, the game is rather buggy: The displayed text is littered with "bad condition" errors, references to different "paths" through the story ((Spoiler - click to show)warrior path Vs. wizard path). Therefore, the game came across as a bit confusing. (Spoiler - click to show)Why, at one point, it told me that the rabbet demon, which I had just killed, was coming closer and that I had better run away. At the end of the game, it said that the somehow-resurrected rabety thing ripped my heart out. Perhaps this game would be better if the author removed the bugs. It could also do with an extension; most of the game is spent reading about the "actions" I performed to get to the bottom floor; I would've preferred to choose whether to kill Monster X than to read "You killed monster X and stole treasure Y." You see, The Thing About Dungeons is that it's a game in need of major improvement.

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

namekuseijin, January 21, 2016 - Reply
I don't think those are bugs. See, the thing about Brendan Pattrick is that he hates mainstream games, such as games with dungeons and gratuitous violence, and so he writes hypertext games to mock them. Those are not bugs, they are features.
Previous | << 1 >> | Next