Sols3.zip *

The Mask of the Sun

by Alan B. Clark, Christopher P. Anson, and Margaret Anson

Mystery/Travel
1982

You are Mac Steele, an archaeologist who needs to find the Mask of the Sun in order to obtain an antidote to a poison that afflicts him from an artifact that he found. The game mostly takes place in Mexico in the Aztec ruins.

Mask of the Sun features fullscreen graphics, which are sometimes animated - a feature deemed quite remarkable at the time of release.

License: Commercial (Out of Print)
TUID: 5aizbla9gf9ivzre

An Adventure Classic, May 31, 2012
by starfire (Just beyond Pluto)
This was the first computer game I ever purchased, and the source of many hours of entertainment and adventure. I will never forget the first time I played, typed my first command at the prompt, and entered my first pyramid in search of hidden secrets and lost gold. I have been an avid fan of adventure gaming ever since!

This game certainly offered a high degree of mystery, including ancient legends, ghosts, and treasure. The puzzles were difficult, but not so hard that the player would lose interest, and spaced just right to maintain a high level of adventure throughout. The graphics were of superior quality (for the time) and added to this game's appeal, including at least one puzzle that was linked directly to the graphics, (Spoiler - click to show)requiring the player to leap across a river of lava.

This game is a true gem and deserves a place in the Adventure Game Hall of Fame! If you haven't played it yet, then you have missed out on a classic and should check it out. If you haven't played it in nearly thirty years, it's time to climb back into the bouncing jeep and return to the jungles. You will enjoy it. I sure did.

If you enjoyed The Mask of the Sun...