All Roads

by Jon Ingold profile

Historical/Time Travel
2001

Go to the game's main page

Good for intro to IF, January 15, 2016
by 24Fanatic (Charlotte, NC)
I'm new to IF, as I just (re)discovered it this week. I remember my cousins playing the ZORK titles when they first came out when I was a kid. All Roads has wonderful writing and storytelling, and for that I applaud Jon Ingold. The only thing I found slightly disappointing was the lack of organic movement or being allowed to actually decide what happens next. After playing all the way through the story, I thought, "That was pretty cool, and fun! Now I wonder what'll happen when I do this...?"

So I started over, and made a completely different decision in one of the rooms by NOT picking up an item before I left. After I exited the room, I checked my inventory, and to my surprise, I was carrying the very item I had intentionally left behind! Oh well, at least it was entertaining the first time through...

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

namekuseijin, January 16, 2016 - Reply
that's the fault of the storyteller winning over the simulationist. And now Ingold is adamant that cyoa is the way to go because it allows one to quickly deliver static fiction cutscenes at the pacing the storyteller wants, not the player... oh well...
Previous | << 1 >> | Next