The Surprise

Slice of life

An auto-biographical story.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: 4kjfmbcu4uuj6um3

67th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A micro-game about an important moment in life, October 2, 2019
This game reminds me of one I've looked for for years. In 2015, when I started playing IF, I played a parser game where you've just had a fight with your husband, and you eventually find (Spoiler - click to show)a used pregancy test in the trash. It was very short, and it comes to my mind often.

This game is a choice game, but has a similar theme. With only a few links in the game, it manages to be pretty tricky at times to advance the story. The styling has been modified somewhat, most notably by some timed text which is pretty appropriately used here.

It's hard to get emotionally involved in such a small game, though, and there is a tug of war between the puzzly link interaction and the heartfelt story. I feel like the interactivity doesn't pair well with the drama.

In any case, as a person I can identify with this moment and the feelings involved, and it brought back vivid real-life memories. I wish them the best!

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Sobol on 1 October 2019 at 7:09pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item