journey.gam

by Mario Becroft

2001

IFID: TADS2-DEB6499A35AA9791CE012ABC294CFD5D
TUID: 4azctrgdtf1rbocx

12th Place - 7th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2001)

Between the flat writing and the lack of context, I found it difficult to care what was going on in the game -- it all seemed a little arbitrary. The game employed some visual tricks that were helpful. Crayon sketches were scattered judiciously throughout, and unlike Arrival's crayon-work, these sketches had the effect of creating a soft, watercolor ambience rather than a childlike one. Also, the game selects the background color based on the time of day, and this too is an effective trick. Still, these techniques weren't enough, for me, to counterbalance the sluggish prose, and I left the game feeling pretty unmoved.

An illustrated TADS game reminiscent of The Little Prince, July 16, 2017
This game has you exploring a little abandoned islet. It really reminds me of the little prince with its illustrations, especially a sheep, a snake, a desert, etc.

It has a music-based puzzle (without sound) that was nice. It was all very light, though, and had you take some actions that are rather unguessable. The pictures were pleasant, though.

Journey from an Islet on IFDB

The following polls include votes for Journey from an Islet:

Games suitable for children by Mike Sousa
My 10 year old twins recently "discovered" IF. They fell in love with Grunk and are asking for more games to play. I've searched BAF and have some ideas, but figured I would give this poll a shot since there are hundreds and hundreds of...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Paul O'Brian on 24 April 2008 at 6:20pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item