Rat Chasm

First Publication Date: October 31, 2020
TUID: 4agm7slvz278sgbr

9th Place, La Petite Mort - English - ECTOCOMP 2020

A short graphics-intensive musing on humanity with rats, November 15, 2020
At first, I thought this game was just a link to BBC (which for some reason didn't work for me when I clicked on it but worked when I manually entered it into the search bar).

Then it turned out I could scroll down. It's a multimedia page and it has some interesting features (for instance, you can either scroll down to read more text or click links instead, with some interaction between the two).

The non-working initial link and the abrupt, buggy-looking ending put me off the game a little bit. The writing is vivid and imaginative, though, and the visuals are compelling.

There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do?, November 1, 2020
by jakomo
Related reviews: ectocomp2020
Weird choice-based story (prose-poem?) inspired by true events: falling through a manhole into rat-infested sewers and getting stuck down there. Everything is off-kilter, even the interaction method: you click the link until it displays your choice, then scroll down to see the results. Is it a stylistic choice for the player-character to speak in broken english? I don't think the spelling mistakes are a stylistic choice: "An uneven ground slams against you heels", "You grit you teeth." That the player-character's chooses to rage about society rather than addressing the practical issue at hand, is a definite stylistic choice, though, and plays nicely into the game's themes, a metaphorical descent into the human psyche.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by nf on 1 November 2020 at 12:36pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item