With Those We Love Alive

written by porpentine

scored by brenda neotenomie

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
TUID: 445d989vuwlh4cvz

Nominee, Best Game; Winner, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Winner, Best Individual NPC; Nominee, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Use of Innovation; Nominee, Best Use of Multimedia - 2014 XYZZY Awards

5th Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

32nd Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2015 edition)

23rd Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

The Guardian
...this particular game asks of the player a particularly-intimate task: to draw symbols on your own skin while playing. Itís inventive and off-putting all at once.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Physically Interactive Fiction: With Those We Love Alive
With Those We Love Alive is a free Twine game by Porpentine, a moving visit to a mundanely monstrous world. Her writing is so carefully measured, vivid yet small bursts, and a soundtrack by Brenda Neotenomie wraps the world around you. It is a beautiful and terrible game.

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
The work itself is beautifully made, the words and images striking, the music effective, the mechanic of skin-drawing evocative and lovely. But . . . it was also painful and demanding to experience.

Wow, April 22, 2015
by Chris Longhurst (Oxford, UK)
First up, a confession: I'm really bad at high-concept stuff. To me, games are just games and as such I always feel like I'm missing something important with Porpentine's work - some point of contact that other people have and I don't.

But even then...

Even when I'm not getting the full experience -- playing, as it were, with a towel wrapped around my head...

With Those We Love Alive is a really, really good game.

The writing is brilliant. The world just the right level of underspecified to sink its claws into your imagination. Crammed with clever and interesting detail, but delivered with that sparse Porpentine style. And you can play through it in an hour.

I recommend this game to everyone. Even if you're not normally a fan of Porpentine's games, or find them inaccessible, or just too weird to play... give this one a shot.

Liked it, made me feel and think things, July 3, 2015
by openmedi (Berlin, Germany)
I liked this one very much. There are bunch of reasons, but mostly because of the shared intimacy that comes with drawing on you own skin. I also became very aware how different genders manifest their reality and get manifested (if that makes sense) in very different ways. This leeds to very different ways of talking about our bodys "and using them" for world building. These are all pretty naÔve points, but than again I'm but a naÔve humanÖ I liked that it was more of an experience than a skill based game. (Spoiler - click to show)And it made me kind of emotional, although the end came a little abrupt.

A masterpiece, April 1, 2020
Porpentine uses the same device than in Howling Dogs : a place around all "events" (including wandering) take place, but she plays even more on time, forcing you for instance to sleep or meditate if you want to advance in the game. This apparent loss of time helps you to appreciate more the following events, until the freeing end, which the fantastic world finally appears like the shape taken by sorrow. Another brilliant Twine game (with a good sound design as well).

If you enjoyed With Those We Love Alive...

Other members recommend these games for people who like With Those We Love Alive, or gave both high ratings:

The Queen, by Elliot Yokum
Inspired by With Those We Love Alive by Porpentine.

Exile of the Gods, by Jonathan Valuckas
Average member rating: (1 rating)
In the great war between the gods, will you wield the chains of destiny, or shatter them forever? Exile of the Gods is a 500,000 word interactive epic fantasy novel by Jonathan Valuckas, where your choices control the story. It's...

Trapped in Time, by Simon Christiansen
A Science Fiction adventure where YOU are the hero!

With Those We Love Alive appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great Twine/Choice games for those skeptical of the format by MathBrush
I didn't like Twine at first, but slowly I've changed my opinion about it, until now, many of my favorite games are Twine/Choice games (including Varytale or choice-style parser games). These games tend to be very different genres from...

Kiyo's Favorites by Kiyo
A list to keep track of my personal favorite IF games. Opinions on each forthcoming.

Games I Have Played by Canis
Just so I can keep track of them.

The following polls include votes for With Those We Love Alive:

The game(s) that changed your mind about Twine by MathBrush
I've seen many people discuss their feelings for Twine. Many of them say that they didn't think it was a 'real' platform at first, but then certain games changed them (see, for instance, the commentary in "IF is Dead. Long Live IF") For...

I'm looking for a great surreal game. by Bishopofbasic
It's pretty hot up here in Canada and I was wondering if anyone knew of any great surreal type games. Something I can spend my time in front of the AC or in my office hiding from the world. Thanks you guys.

Games with the best writing by A. I. Wulf
Games are a new medium of art. It's still a maturing medium. But still some works May have succeeded in being truly classic in their writing. As an enthusiastic writer I need to know about the growth of IF in this field.

This is version 12 of this page, edited by Karl Ove Hufthammer on 13 July 2018 at 12:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item