With Those We Love Alive

written by porpentine

scored by brenda neotenomie

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
TUID: 445d989vuwlh4cvz

Nominee, Best Game; Winner, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Setting; Winner, Best Individual NPC; Nominee, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Use of Innovation; Nominee, Best Use of Multimedia - 2014 XYZZY Awards

5th Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

32nd Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2015 edition)

The Guardian
...this particular game asks of the player a particularly-intimate task: to draw symbols on your own skin while playing. Itís inventive and off-putting all at once.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Physically Interactive Fiction: With Those We Love Alive
With Those We Love Alive is a free Twine game by Porpentine, a moving visit to a mundanely monstrous world. Her writing is so carefully measured, vivid yet small bursts, and a soundtrack by Brenda Neotenomie wraps the world around you. It is a beautiful and terrible game.

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
The work itself is beautifully made, the words and images striking, the music effective, the mechanic of skin-drawing evocative and lovely. But . . . it was also painful and demanding to experience.

Wow, April 22, 2015
by Chris Longhurst (Oxford, UK)
First up, a confession: I'm really bad at high-concept stuff. To me, games are just games and as such I always feel like I'm missing something important with Porpentine's work - some point of contact that other people have and I don't.

But even then...

Even when I'm not getting the full experience -- playing, as it were, with a towel wrapped around my head...

With Those We Love Alive is a really, really good game.

The writing is brilliant. The world just the right level of underspecified to sink its claws into your imagination. Crammed with clever and interesting detail, but delivered with that sparse Porpentine style. And you can play through it in an hour.

I recommend this game to everyone. Even if you're not normally a fan of Porpentine's games, or find them inaccessible, or just too weird to play... give this one a shot.

Liked it, made me feel and think things, July 3, 2015
by openmedi (Berlin, Germany)
I liked this one very much. There are bunch of reasons, but mostly because of the shared intimacy that comes with drawing on you own skin. I also became very aware how different genders manifest their reality and get manifested (if that makes sense) in very different ways. This leeds to very different ways of talking about our bodys "and using them" for world building. These are all pretty naÔve points, but than again I'm but a naÔve humanÖ I liked that it was more of an experience than a skill based game. (Spoiler - click to show)And it made me kind of emotional, although the end came a little abrupt.

A dreamlike dark fantasy in service to the empress, June 10, 2018
This game is one of Porpentine's best games, by her own admission and the acclaim of others.

It has music and takes the unusual tack of having you draw symbols on your skin as the game progresses. I chose not to do so, but many who have played have done so, and you can search for some of their images.

The game casts you as an artificer for a massive, insectoid alien queen. Isolation and body change are themes, as you wander a city and castle and spend time on yourselves.

The game has music and interesting styling. The story includes friendship and love and bizarre, alien history.

If you enjoyed With Those We Love Alive...

People who like With Those We Love Alive also gave high ratings to these games:

Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort, by Tiberius Thingamus
In this adventure, findeth ye olde treasures from within yon castle. Maketh friends as ye o'ercome meddlesome goblins! Outwitteth ye riddling gnome! Resizeth ye belts & belt-like things! Can ye getteth all o' ye treasures & defeateth ye...

TinyUtopias Football Manager: Super Soccer Slam Edition, by A. Johanna DeNiro
Your cooperatively owned soccer team begins on the sixth level of the pyramid of English football. Can you reach the top of the Premier League and also smash crony capitalism at the same time?

Creatures Such As We, by Lynnea Glasser
A dating sim about how humanity connects through art, even out in the vastness of space.

With Those We Love Alive appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Good games by Simon Deimel
This is a list of games that affected me. Their contents had a certain impact on me and kept my mind busy even some time after I had finished playing.

Games I Have Played by Canis
Just so I can keep track of them.

Kiyo's Favorites by Kiyo
A list to keep track of my personal favorite IF games. Opinions on each forthcoming.

The following polls include votes for With Those We Love Alive:

I'm looking for a great surreal game. by Bishopofbasic
It's pretty hot up here in Canada and I was wondering if anyone knew of any great surreal type games. Something I can spend my time in front of the AC or in my office hiding from the world. Thanks you guys.

Best in-game music by MathBrush
I'm looking for games with great in-game soundtracks.

Mother-Daugher Relations by matt w (Matt Weiner)
What are some IF works that involve a relationship between a mother and a daughter? Not necessarily as the center of the work, but as something that impinges on it at all.

This is version 12 of this page, edited by Karl Ove Hufthammer on 13 July 2018 at 12:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item