Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Zozzled

by Steph Cherrywell profile

Comedy

Hotsy-totsy! It's 1928 and you're madcap flapper Hazel Greene, tottering around the city's finest hotel with a gullet full of giggle juice...until a gaggle of ghosts shows up to spoil the fun by turning every drop in the place into lousy, undrinkable WATER. Explore the beautiful Poseidon Grand Hotel, meet Barnaby Mooch the Magnificent Pooch, and get splifficated on a snootful of ectoplasm in this paranormal puzzle comedy.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 0C0FB9BD-7976-4244-932F-0C15390B900B
TUID: 436g2gu94kxin4x7

Winner - Tie, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Winner, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best NPCs; Nominee - Helping Madame Ping Ping with the séance, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner - Inspiring the artist, Best Individual Puzzle; Winner - Hazel Greene, Best Individual PC - 2019 XYZZY Awards

1st Place overall; 2nd Place, Miss Congeniality - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Classic Cherrywell with a strong dose of spirits, October 7, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game is the kind of thing Steph Cherrywell is known for: smooth humor, a large, easily navigable map, genre tropes pursued to their logical end, plenty of polish, and vivid characters.

I found this game's puzzles more logical than some other Cherrywell games, though I had trouble with one particular artist. Looking back, I ignored many, many, hints.

You play as a flapper (with all the 20's lingo) whose desperate for a drink. But it's all been soaked up by ghosts, so you have to hunt them down one by one!

I really enjoyed this game, and I think that it has a great chance of wining this year's comp.

Flappy and fun, April 11, 2020
by eldis (UK)
I enjoyed playing this game through and found the best thing about it was the writing. The puzzles were not too hard and the challenges all manageable. The hardest thing was the transition between choice mode (e.g. 1 - do this 2 - do that) to the standard parser mode.

Overall a great story, very funny and quirky. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lovely humour, great puzzles, excellent flow., December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
This is a solid, well-polished game with lovely humour and great puzzles. Not mind-blowing, just very good. In the end I found it was rather perfectly balanced, integrating a lovely and fun story with a decent set of rather original puzzles. The flow and timing of Zozzled is particularly impressive, making it clear that this is the work of an experienced author. Of Steph’s earlier games, I have only played Brain Guzzlers from Beyond! which I found too easy, making it more of a story than a game. Zozzled, on the other hand, manages to combine story and game as well as any work of IF I have played. I’m sure it will be featured on many lists of recommended IF in the years to come.

If you enjoyed Zozzled...