Transparent
TransparentM (no sounds)
Sounds removed for smaller download (better for mobile)

Transparent

by Hanon Ondricek profile

An eerie exploration of an abandoned historic house. Acquire pictures with your trusty camera to get paid and search for evidence of the 2nd unit crew who is supposed to be there with you. Someone is definitely making those sounds in the dark.

Play in an offline, sound and graphics-capable interpreter is recommended.

Contains creepy and possibly surprising atmospheric sound effects. Does not contain "screamer" type audio/visual jump-scares.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
Current Version: 7 (7.4)
Forgiveness Rating: Nasty
IFID: 73E32658-3590-41F4-9234-9BC3EC9E405C
TUID: 3zp2urrzm9j9f1bx

11th Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

News

More news... | Add a news item

Good Old Days
The plot isn't just revealed interactively, the plot itself is interactive.
"Transparent is one of the few games which offer true interactivity in the sense of allowing the player to shape the story. Within limits, of course, but these shackles aren't nearly as restricting as most authors put them. Best of all, there are virtually no fixed plot points, no big reveals in non-interactive text dumps. Rather than told, the plot is experienced through the interaction itself."

Open-ended paranormal investigation game, February 11, 2016
Transparent is a full IFComp-sized game (about 2 hours) set in an abandoned mansion. This game eschews the traditional linear format most common for horror games and adopts a 'slow-burn' instead. This didn't mesh well with the hectic format of IFComp, which may have caused it to be overlooked.

In this game, you are a photographer as part of a film crew investigating a location that is rumored to be haunted. You are provided with a map (as an in-game graphic and as a feel). You make it to the mansion, but the film crew is nowhere to be seen.

As you go about the mansion, various things happen. You have a camera you can wear around your neck, and you photograph everything. Sometimes the pictures don't turn out the way they should.

Eventually, the power goes out, but you can still see by using your flash. This often does not reveal what you want it to.

You can make your own goals in this game, and there are endings for most reasonable goals. I achieved one good ending and one bad ending, and I found the bad ending to be very appropriate, so I didn't try to fix it.

There are sounds, but my interpreter did not support them.

Finally, many , many people complained about the inventory limit, but there is nothing you need to carry for 90% of the game. Don't carry notes, leaflets, and memos, and drop keys if you're done with them (I recommend holding onto the property key).

Recommended for fans of the creepy.

If you enjoyed Transparent...

People who like Transparent also gave high ratings to these games:

Border Zone, by Marc Blank
Where the Iron Curtain divides East and West, the frontier is a no man's land between freedom and captivity, a place where moments lost or precautions not taken exact a toll in men's lives. In Border Zone, you cross this barrier not...

Tangaroa Deep, by Astrid Dalmady
We know more about space than we do about the ocean. Isn’t it time to start changing that? Released for the 2016 Spring Thing

Hummingbird Mind, by Jake Elliott
Hummingbird Mind is a short visual novel / interactive story about distraction, daydreaming, and working from home.

Transparent appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great "white hat" horror games by genre by MathBrush
This list does not include games intended to disgust or to make you personally feel evil. The focus is on games where good overcomes evil, or that just make you think. That is what I mean by "white hat" games. Games like Vespers or...

The following polls include votes for Transparent:

Dynamic open world IFs by Natrium729
I'm looking for good "open world" IFs, that is, IFs where the player can just wander and explore the world without necessarily following the main plot (think Elder Scrolls). They could take place on a planet, in a city, or even just in a...

Games much improved in later versions by Karl Ove Hufthammer
Most IF works are only available in ‘version 1’, but some are released in updated versions. And a few see a large amount of bug fixing, rewriting and polish. This is a poll for highlighting these games, games that the authors have taken...

Games with maps... by Xionix
I started playing Counterfeit Monkey, and I notice a good map is a way for us newbies to get into the game more easy. And I hate to draw so, are any other games that got a in-game map? It can be any genre.

This is version 31 of this page, edited by Hanon Ondricek on 16 November 2017 at 9:17am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item