Dungeon Detective 2.zip

Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details

by Wonaglot

Episode 2 of Dungeon Detective
Fantasy/Mystery

The life of the world's first Dungeon Detective isn't exactly glamorous. You've spent many nights hungry, sleeping in the woods. But word is getting out, and the newest case has showed up at the foot of your bed in the first room you've rented in months. Like your other employers, he can scarcely believe you're a gnoll - something people say looks like a malicious hyena standing on two legs.

Pack clues into your bag while exploring a living city in day or night. Pick your suspect, then close the case. Oh, and try not to part with your soul in the process?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 7E08D317-665B-4B39-A819-F4F1D76D49FE
TUID: 3qkj39w2kk7rp7bo

Sequel to Dungeon Detective, by Wonaglot, Caitlin Mulvihill

11th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Engrossing mystery in a fantasy setting, November 28, 2019
My biggest critique of last year's Dungeon Detective was that I wanted more game to play, which is really more of a compliment than a critique. Well, I got what I wanted! Dungeon Detective 2 continues the adventures of our furry sleuth, Sniff Chewpaw. This time he's hired by a devil to look into the bombing of the devil's dungeon, and the resulting investigation is both longer and more in-depth than the one in the first DD. There are several more characters to interview, night and day periods that offer you different event options, a couple of minigames, and a currency system where you can earn and spend money. There's also an animated Chewpaw graphic, which is quite fun. You've got a lot to keep track of, but it all worked for me, and I found myself more engrossed in Dungeon Detective 2 than I did its predecessor.

A couple of critiques: The dungeon itself is on the small side, but there's enough interesting content before you reach the dungeon that that doesn't matter too much. There are also a few too many typos for my taste. But these are minor critiques, especially compared with Dungeon Detective 2's immersive play and appealing PC.

The original IFComp version had some bugs in it that stopped gameplay for me (and perhaps others). I suspect the game would have placed even higher in IFComp without those bugs, and I hope the author makes an updated version of the game publicly available.

One of my favorite games from IFComp 2019.

Big city mystery with a gnoll detective in a fantasy setting, October 2, 2019
What can I say? I loved Dungeon Detective 1, and this is like the bigger, stronger cousin of that game. It's a clue-gathering mystery, D&D-esque setting, sweet interface, a day-night cycle, clever dialogue. This hits up all of my niche interests in addition to just being a well-polished game.

It's not without its faults. As my gnoll explored the city, making money and investigating, I ran into some hiccups on my end. Money took a bit to figure out. Some leads were difficult to pursue. It was occasionally hard to know what to do. But are these faults, or essential parts of the game experience? I got a satisfactory, though not perfect, ending.

I love it, overall. Because mystery and D&D are niche interest for me, I cannot guarantee others will enjoy it as much as I did.

If you enjoyed Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details, or gave both high ratings:

Dungeon Detective, by Wonaglot, Caitlin Mulvihill
You're a gnoll. Whether that's a blessing or a curse is up to you. Unlike other gnolls, you're trying to eke out a simple existence by plying your trade - that of the world's first Dungeon Detective. Amass clues and present them to your...

In a Manor of Speaking, by Hulk Handsome
In a Manor of Speaking is a punny adventure set in the surreal world of Calembour. Journey through the bizarre Outlands, the bustling streets of Rudeville, and eventually find your way to the manor itself as you save the land by using...

Choice of Magics, by Kevin Gold
Your magic can change the world, but at what cost? Battle dragons, skyships, and evil Inquisitors, as you protect your homeland, conquer it, or destroy it forever. Choice of Magics is a 550,000-word interactive, post-apocalyptic fantasy...

The following polls include votes for Dungeon Detective 2: Devils and Details:

Trying to find a good comedy. by H. W. Wiliams
I'm hoping to find a good comedy IF title. I've been away for a while and want a good laugh before I head back to work. Any suggestions?

Your Favorite/Best Twine Games by thecanvasrose
1. Please leave a description with your vote and tell me what the game is/why you like it/etc. 2. Free to play games preferred. 3. I'm interested to see what's new or less well known.

Choice-based puzzlefests by Spike
I enjoy games with lots of good puzzles, but so far nearly all the ones I've played have a parser-based interface. This poll is to help me find good choice-based puzzlefests.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Wonaglot on 16 February 2020 at 3:15pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item