available for purchase at Gog.​com

Eric the Unready

by Bob Bates

Fantasy / Humor
1993

A tongue-in-cheek graphic text adventure/point and click adventure hybrid. You are a chivalrous knight attempting to save a princess; your quest takes you through a mad-cap Douglas Adams-style world.

Language: English (en-US)
License: Commercial
Development System: None
IFID: MZ-000C48CA63F735A4034A005CF8A7A1E1
TUID: 3q9hg2onqjftx5vi

34th Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

Mr. Bill's Adventureland Review
Whenever the experts are asked to name the best adventure games of all time this 1993 game usually comes up, and for good reason. It is a comedy classic, a brilliant parody written by Bob Bates who was formerly with the famous Infocom team, and this game reminds us a lot of their Zork games.

The author, Bob Bates, leaves no opportunity unexploited to lampoon, parody, satirise and pun his way through an exceptionally funny tale. The more adventures you've played the more you'll get out of it but, if you've seen the movie, read the book, listened to the album, subscribed to the magazine, watched the tv quiz show, and generally worked your way through a few games you'll find a lot to make you laugh.

Fantasy parody in the spirit of Monty Python, January 11, 2009
Eric the Unready chronicles the adventures of a fumbling knight, a laughing stock of his peers, who accidentally gets assigned the task of saving the princess. Eric is not a very imaginative choice for the protagonist but the game fortunately manages to keep him in the "lovable loser" category as opposed to the "annoying twit" category that are very very close to each other.

The interface has several windows that are, among others, a compass rose, a picture of the location, an automap, a list of available commands and a list of objects in the location. The lists are not of much use to experienced players and can at times even be considered minor spoilers but they can be hidden from the view giving the text area more room.

The jokes vary between hit and miss, fortunately there are more hits than misses. References to popular culture and other games of the era abound. The humor and the game's world in its absurdness resembles Monty Python very much; influence from The Holy Grail is obvious.

Resemblance to Monty Python doesn't end with the humor. The gameplay is very episodic and after the player has finished with one set of puzzles in one location, he is transported into new location with a new set of puzzles. There's not much to tie the scenes together. While this is usually not considered the best design choice, it works here for the same reason it works for TV's sketch shows: the jokes don't have a chance to get old.

As the game was published in 1993 and has been out of print for many years now it might be hard to get your hands on it, but if you can find a copy it's definitely worth playing.

Funniest game I've ever played, May 5, 2019
by deathbytroggles (Minneapolis, MN)
Rated by many the best adventure game of 1993 and itís pretty obvious to see why. You are the infamous Eric the Unready. You have been assigned to save the princess from her evil stepmother. Unbeknownst to you, you were assigned because you are the most ill-equipped knight in the land.

As with the early Legend games that used a text parser, you can play the game with or without graphics. The graphics are gorgeous for the time, and being a comedy they do well to serve the humor. The music is pleasant if too repetitive.

Itís more of a parody than a game. To the skilled adventurer, this should take less than a couple of weeks to win. The puzzles are not all that well-developed, and can even be annoying at times. But it is without a doubt the funniest game I have ever played. Bob Bates spoofs everything from Star Trek to Saturday Night Live to Zork and has a grand ole time with medieval culture. There is something here for everyone. I havenít played the game since 2000, however, so itís possible the jokes have become dated.

Now available thru Gog.com, May 2, 2018
by DonaldJohnson (Seguin, TX)
Now available thru Gog.com

If you enjoyed Eric the Unready...

People who like Eric the Unready also gave high ratings to these games:

Pirate's Plunder!, by Tiberius Thingamus
In this game, it be yer goal to findeth ye olde, cursed treasure on Loot Island and taketh it fer yer own. Not even that evil Captain Hookhead can stoppeth ye once ye put ye mind to it. Know why? If ye guessed "Because I'm a pirate," yer...

The Temple of Shorgil, by Arthur DiBianca
One day, travel guides will talk about this "masterpiece of the Pirothian architect Kitral" -- but only if you, the first person to visit it in over 1,000 years, can find out what's inside. (Puzzle-oriented and family friendly, with...

The Fire Tower, by Jacqueline A. Lott

Eric the Unready appears in the following Recommended Lists:

IFDB Top 100 by Pegbiter

Atmosphere and gameplay I loved by KathB
I'm not quite sure how to explain this list. These are games I loved playing because the atmosphere, structure, hinting and gameplay worked really well for my brain. In every case, once I finished I went searching for something similar.

The following polls include votes for Eric the Unready:

Games with graphics and/or sound by eyesack
I couldn't find an easy way to search for this, so I figured I'd ask the hivemind: What games use graphics and/or sound to enhance the gameplay, similar to City of Secrets and Necrotic Drift?

Non-Infocom games of commercial era worth playing by tekket
What commercial games published between 1980-1993 other than those by Infocom do you think are worth playing?

PC's personality integrated with the story by JasonMel
I would like to be able to recommend to someone many examples of interactive fiction in which the player character is far from a cipher or an everyman or everywoman, but is instead a character with a definite personality within a game...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by DonaldJohnson on 2 May 2018 at 4:27pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item