Competition Version
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game!

by B F Lindsay

Locked Room

When pulling on the door doesn't 'cut it'. A delightfully shameless, unforgivable one-room tribute to the games of Andy Phillips.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 7F9023BA-75F4-4BDD-93F5-D451621A2B9B
TUID: 3kmxtza6171jehxa

17th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A loving tribute to/light parody of Andy Phillips in a single room, November 19, 2019
Andy Phillips is a figure in the IF community known for occasionally releasing massive IF games that generally feature science fiction of some sort, large maps with a few puzzles available at a time, and deadly women.

In this game, you're a super-fan of Andy Phillips who has been locked in by his roommates. You're wearing a jumpsuit from an Andy Phillips game and you have tons of memorabilia around the rooms, all of which is directly based off of the games.

There are a few start puzzles and then one main one, getting out of the room. I found the starter puzzles not too hard, but the main puzzle requires few leaps of intuition. Given the constrained size of the game, however, it's possible to suss out the solution after time, and there is a great help system.

Impressive homage to Andy Phillips, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
The homage that is Frenemies does not only feature a die-hard fan who has filled his dorm room with objects from Andy Phillips’ games, but is also centered around a single puzzle that should make Phillips proud. Of the games alluded to in Frenemies, I have only played Inside Woman 1, which is without doubt the longest and most difficult game I have completed. The main puzzle in Frenemies is possible to solve in five minutes, but more likely to take you close to two hours of tears and frustration, followed by a deep and fulfilling sense of accomplishment. If the game were significantly larger, I would have probably regarded this puzzle as too clever, but as it stands more or less alone in a one-room game, I think it’s just perfect. The writing is mostly excellent, though the humour a bit juvenile at times, while the protagonist carries some of the naïve, self-mocking touch that characterised Tom from the Bullhockey games.

If you enjoyed Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game!...

People who like Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game! also gave high ratings to these games:

Hill Ridge Lost & Found, by Jeremy Pflasterer
When he fears that a reclusive neighbor’s weird ministrations are leading the locals astray, an old cowboy takes it upon himself to amble back up to Hill Ridge and set things a-right. Note: This game was designed for the HTML TADS Player...

PataNoir, by Simon Christiansen
The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.

Fingertips: I Found a New Friend, by Adri
You've had a long day. All you want to do is climb into bed. But why is your pillow quivering like that? Written for the Apollo 18+20 tribute album project, and loosely inspired by the They Might Be Giants track of the same name.

Frenemies; or, I Won An Andy Phillips Game! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for February 2020 by David Welbourn
On Thursday February 27, 2020, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 27 February 2020 at 11:35pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item