The Fifth Continent

by Daniel Gunnell profile

Comedy

In The Fifth Continent, the sequel to The Computer Lady, you play a tourist exploring the Romney Marsh in Kent. Along the way, you'll find the scorch mark of a UFO and deliberately upset a bird watcher in order to get into writing interactive fiction.

Language: English
IFID: 190719
TUID: 30hxwjuxqtfwidcj

Sequel to The Computer Lady, by Daniel Gunnell

News

Expand all | Add a news item

A Walk Through K, July 20, 2019
by J. J. Guest (London, England)
This is a curious little game set on the Kent coast. It doesn't have any puzzles as such, and I completed it in just 42 moves. It was the setting that captured my interest, as I have been meaning to explore that part of the English coastline for a while. It was quite enjoyable to just wander around and look at the scenery, and there really isn't a lot else to do. Because it's rare to find games set in the real world, I decided to mirror my progress on Google Streetview at the same time. Through doing this I realised that some of the moves you make in the game take you several miles in the real-life geography, but this isn't really apparent from the writing. The writing otherwise does a decent job of describing a place which is obviously very familiar to the author, and there are dashes of humour. The Fifth Continent could have done with an experienced beta tester, though. There are a fair few typos, including "pidgeon" for pigeon, (though it's just possible the author intended to use an archaic spelling) and dozens of unimplemented scenery objects. It feels like an early effort, and I can't really give this game more than two stars, but I did spend an enjoyable few minutes exploring Romney Marsh and I look forward to future games by this author.

Edit: the spelling and grammatical errors have been cleared up since this review was written.
Note: this review is based on older version of the game.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Daniel Gunnell on 20 July 2019 at 6:54am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item