GuttersnipeTheBalefulBackwash.zip
Contains GuttersnipeTheBalefulBackwash.quest
Zipfile at Spring Thing 2018.
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Guttersnipe: The Baleful Backwash

by Bitter Karella

Episode 3 of Guttersnipe
Humor

It's 1929. Incorrigible street urchin Lil' Ragamuffin and her sewer rat pal Percy have been imprisoned in the cellar of the Baleful Backwash speakeasy by dastardly gangsters. Save Percy and evade bootleggers, bluesmen, and bedeviling birds to escape this basement bastille!

First Publication Date: April 6, 2018
Development System: Quest
TUID: 2xpjwqy4953d4o52

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2018

A clever puzzle game with lots of character and some bugs in the ointment, May 8, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
I've enjoyed the full Guttersnipe sequence of games; they generally feature well-thought out puzzles involving an urchin doing ridiculous things and eating junk.

This game puts a spin on things by placing your long-standing help system and narrative device Percy the Rat in confinement.

It features stereotypical Italians as the antagonists, with names like Tony Macaroni. It would be somewhat uncomfortable, except that it's less of a parody of Italians themselves and more of a parody of gangster movies's and novels' parodies of Italians.

There were several bugs in the version that I played, but it made the game more interesting, as I had to type exactly the right command, and it became just another puzzle. But polish and interactivity correspond to two of my stars, which is why I'm giving 3/5.

Edit:

Since my original review, the game has been revised to fix many bugs, so I'm increasing my score to 4/5.

If you enjoyed Guttersnipe: The Baleful Backwash...

People who like Guttersnipe: The Baleful Backwash also gave high ratings to these games:

You had, like, so much going on, by porree
You kind of know what to expect from a Twine + Gender medley. Nevertheless, have yet another one. No trigger warnings, but also no solutions for anything. Just some words about growing up being made confused.

Psychomanteum, by Hanon Ondricek
Every year your friend hosts a Halloween party where guests are expected to complete three dares. This is the third. A Grand Guignol entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

Oppositely Opal, by Buster Hudson
You've practiced long and hard for PotionComp, but Grusilda won't give up her title so easily. UGH! Curse that Grusilda! A one-room potion-brewing spell-casting parser puzzler, where things might go opposite the way you planned.

Guttersnipe: The Baleful Backwash appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for September 2018 by David Welbourn
On Friday, September 28, 2018, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 29 September 2018 at 8:15am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item