inherit.gam

by Eric Toth

1999

IFID: TADS2-47A0A347D04658934DD99FEDEA15178E
TUID: 2w5fy271l7jngbjo

Inoffensive little game in the well-worn searching-for-your-uncle's-will genre. A few good puzzles, a few not-so-good ones, but nothing really remarkable--the puzzles are the whole story. Technically solid.

-- Duncan Stevens

Brass Lantern
"Inheritance", I think, won me over with its simplicity. Descriptions are terse, as in most old-school games (I began my text adventure career porting Spectrum BASIC games to my Sharp computer, so I recognized the style). Though this sometimes goes to extremes (for examine, "Examine rectangular slot" returns the telegraphic "12 inch rectangular slot", nothing more) it somehow works. The puzzles were fun to play through, and except for one, were clued pretty well. Most of the silly actions I tried brought amusing replies, or at least non-standard ones. But most of all, I think, there was a sense of _purpose_ in this game that I usually find lacking in contemporary puzzle-fests; I knew what had to be done, and more or less how to do it, and even if I got stuck I knew it wasn't an unwinnable situation but just a temporary barrier. Though the story is thin and rather sterotypical - eccentric old men and mystery manors are old hat - it fitted the game's size, design and aims perfectly. At the end, I felt satisfid ; I didn't find myself crying "Hey! Where are the complex NPCs, the lengthy room descriptions and the ifMUD Easter Eggs?". I've almost never had this positive an experience with a puzzler, and Eric deserves a lot of credit for that. (Quentin D. Thompson)

The puzzles themselves vary--some are a bit obscure, but all are logical and some are rather ingenious; one relies on an object that the room description seems to dismiss as unimportant, and another suggests that there's a way to manipulate it that doesn't in fact work, but there are worse sins, I suppose. (Duncan Stevens)

This could easily be developed into a much larger game, although I don't think Eric has any intention of doing anything else with it. It's a real shame, because it is a lovely traditional game, and if like me, you are not keen on the way a lot of i-f is going, you will have a lot of fun zooming around this one. (Karen Tyers)

Inheritance on IFDB

Inheritance appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Puzzle Based Small Games by NiMuSi
Small games where the emphasis is on the puzzles. These small games all have puzzles with, on the main, logical answers.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 25 February 2013 at 3:28pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item