WE R THE WORLD

by Dan Hoy and Mike Kleine

Recording of 'We Are the World' at Quincy Jones' mountain chateau in Topanga Canyon after the 1985 American Music Awards, but the harmonics are coded to unlock another dimension and summon a great(er) power.

First Publication Date: April 4, 2019
IFID: 366214C8-3E58-4B9E-885B-9CDFE6AC9918
TUID: 2qxxnwxyrkpku4wa

Audience Choice--Most Bizzarre, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2019

A lengthy train-of-thought surrealist exercise, April 18, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game is a collection of individual short story/games about musical artists in a cabin recording We Are the World.

The style is surreal and dense, between Finnegan's Wake and The Wasteland. Some are more coherent; Huey Lewis's was essentially a straight story. An example of the surreal language is "People need to stop using reptile as a pejorative. The universe is a spaceship."

On a review for Charlie the Robot, I said: "There should be a name for the genre of 'biting commentary on society that is self-aware and occasionally dips to crudity, with hints of cheerful ideals always tinged by irony, using an overload of text as literary device.' Such games include Spy Intrigue and Dr. Sourpuss Is Not A Choice-Based Game. It seems increasingly common."

It seems like that trend is continuing. This particular game has some of the least overall plot of all this genre I've seen. The different sections have little to differentiate between them, reducing the surreality to an essential sameness.

I could see this really attracting a certain personality type. I do not think this is an objectively bad game. But it didn't suit my personal tastes. A game similar to this but with a bit more interactivity that I could recommend is The Harmonic Time-Bind Ritual Symphony

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Sobol on 19 April 2019 at 2:53am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item