Scary House Amulet!

Humor/Haunted House
2002

- Zape, March 3, 2020

A joke game that is well-put together, April 19, 2015
This is essentially a good, though short, "creepy" game with purposefully silly descriptions. The puzzles are hard enough to be fun and easy enough to not ruin the goofy atmosphere. Puzzles are essentially "collect everything and try it all one by one in each room".

I supposed the reason I most enjoyed the game was the pacing. There is always something to do to move the game forward. I used hints on the very last puzzle, but I didn't really need to.

Game can be finished in under a hour. One or two simple mazes with no tricks (people who hate mazes might even like these mazes).

- E.K., November 12, 2013

- Grey (Italy), December 25, 2009

- Linnau (Tel-Aviv, Israel), October 31, 2008

There were a couple of areas where the writing felt a bit adolescent (particularly in its excoriation of Pepsi), but generally the over-the-top horror bit was pulled off with cleverness and panache. So at the end I was left scratching my head, and not just because the ending doesn't really make any sense. Why would such a skilled implementor create this game, with its aggressively clichéd setting and puzzles, and no particular virtue except its entertaining writing? I don't know. I laughed many times while I played SHA, but now that it's over, I still feel like I didn't get the joke.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- brattish (Canada), April 9, 2008

- Quintin Stone (NC), October 23, 2007

This one makes quite an effort to look like an amateurish work, but honestly, I don't believe it is; it rather appears to be a very competently done parody on a badly implemented horror story. Thus, it features a set of puzzles one might expect to encounter in this kind of game (including a maze, which, however, isn't too cruel), oh-so-frightful characters, and exaggeratedly tasteless text formatting. You may (and almost certainly will) have ambiguous feelings about The Scary House Amulet; in any case, don't take it too seriously - it doesn't seem as it was meant to be; in fact, I think it represents one big joke.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev