Second release. Quixe website with background graphic.
Second release.
IFComp 2015 release.
Guidance
Basic walkthrough.

Midnight. Swordfight.

by Chandler Groover profile

A Folly

A fool receives a challenge from a countess.

Violence. Sex. Profanity. Sausage.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
IFID: 53B82FD1-5E12-41C5-9754-38E286481BBA
TUID: 2cuwjlvpybg8oaf0

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Winner, Best Implementation; Nominee, Best Use of Innovation - 2015 XYZZY Awards

3rd Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

23rd Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of All Time (2019 edition)

News

Version 2 released January 5, 2017
Expand all | Add a news item

The Breakfast Review
As a breakfast, this is... eggs benedict with goose eggs and a hollandaise sauce you could stand a teaspoon up in; sides of toulouse sausages and honey-glazed bacon; clotted cream on fresh strawberries; Irish coffee with a shot of Swiss chocolate. Very rich, heady stuff.

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
I enormously enjoyed this game, and I kept being surprised by the ways it opened out, and the depths it revealed in interaction, and the level of daring in the design. I loved the way the story universe gets weirder and more ridiculous the more you poke at it. I'm sure I didn't find everything there is to find, either. For my tastes, this is Chandler Groover's best IF yet, and probably my personal favorite in a competition full of superb work.

Inverse
The appeal of Midnight. Swordfight. is its superior writing, although its gameplay is much easier than most as well. Even when the plot is confusing, the texture of the game's writing is such that the player feels taken care of.

Old Games Italia

In definitiva, Midnight. Swordfight. di Chandler Groover un divertissement che prende per mano l'avventuriero esortandolo a danzare in un giardino panoramico in cui sia stata edificata una follia dal capriccio di un architetto estroso.

Orestes Drunk and Pylades Fasting
The writing is very sharp - it's what stands out the most about the story on the first few playthroughs. It ranges from whimsical to creepy to baroque... without depending excessively on long passages and text dumps: a sign of good, snappy IF writing.

Renga in Blue
What's most interesting about this structurally is that while the surface is a one-move find-the-endings game like Aisle, the verb list is heavily restricted and the player is allowed to go behind the scenes and tweak the setting. It's nearly in the direction of player authorship, letting them change the story to their liking.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
An intriguing and dreamlike sausage-based farce.

A one-move game combined with an alternative, time-warping reality, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015
Midnight, Swordfight was an IFComp 2015 game. This game is a one-move game like Aisle or Rematch, where you are in a duel with a countess and have only limited actions available. Innovatively, these actions are listed in a playscript in your inventory.

Another innovation is that you can enter an alternate reality, where you can travel through and around time to change the setup of the duel.

The world is mysterious and bizarre, with some of the darker parts of Lewis Carroll mixed with David Eddings mixed with all sorts of things. The game is dark, and contains explicit descriptions of sex and intense violence (although the violence is not to the level of, say, One Eye Open). The worksmanship is impeccable.

Another excellent work from Chandler Groover!, January 25, 2016
Yet again, this author astounds me with a total reimagining of the IF navigation model. Yet again, it puts the typical model to shame.
I love how this isn't just gimmick (though that would have been enough) - the gameplay ties into the story and setting absolutely perfectly. The visuals evoked are fantastic, and the entire thing is a shining homage to some of the most iconically bizarre products of the masquerade era. If only it were illustrated accordingly!

If you enjoyed Midnight. Swordfight....