Play the BBC Micro version online
Map
Full-color map
Walkthrough
Solution by Garry Francis

The Horrible Rotten Dancing Dragon...Strikes!!!

by Ken Rose

Humor
1983

This game was originally published in Softline magazine in January 1983. It was written in Atari Basic, with instructions provided to port the game from Atari Basic to Applesoft Basic, which I've dutifully applied.

I've preserved this game for historical interest. It's the very first text adventure game that I can remember playing. It's got a dancing dragon, a McRib sandwich, a snarky dinosaur, and a magic spring.

First Publication Date: January 1, 1983
Development System: Basic
TUID: 2bavj7k3yeckppxj

Nothing to write home about, July 27, 2020
I went to the trouble of typing in this game from an archived copy of Softline magazine because I had fond memories of playing this game with my dad.

The game itself is playable, and has some cute bits. The centerpiece puzzle with the dragon has adequate clues, I think, and the magic spring puzzle may catch some players pleasantly by surprise.

If you enjoyed The Horrible Rotten Dancing Dragon...Strikes!!!...

People who like The Horrible Rotten Dancing Dragon...Strikes!!! also gave high ratings to these games:

Here, by Phillip J Rhoades
Average member rating: (1 rating)
Nothing Good Ever Happens Here! Desolate, hopeless, horror genre... in poetic form with a choose-your-path spin. Each passage is a tanka style poem. You live here, in a gray world where nothing good ever happens. Explore the desolate...

Barry Basic and the Quest for the Perfect Port, by Dee Cooke
It's 1987, and Barry Basic is keen to reach a whole new fanbase by porting his BBC Micro computer game to the ZX Spectrum. However, he needs to convert his code first! As Barry, you need to find everything that will help you port your...

Spring 2020, by Phillip J Rhoades
All you can do is eat or wait. There are two endings. There are no good endings. Based on a random idea in a Twitter conversation. https://twitter.com/howtophil/status/1250219872019197954 I joked I was making it... then I made it.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Anthony Hope on 2 August 2020 at 2:43am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item