Forgotten_Tavern_Food_Critical.zip
The_Forgotten_Tavern.html
IF Comp version.

The Forgotten Tavern

by Peter M.J. Gross profile

Max and Diana need your help, although Diana might be reluctant to admit that.

You should visit their humble establishment. If you help them with their problems, they can help you with yours.

You remember that problem of yours, right?

(In this game, you and your hammer will explore a brief career in hospitality & tourism.)

First Publication Date: October 1, 2018
IFID: AB08864C-81B8-4E6D-ACB9-3B42C5A3410A
TUID: 22ye2ueiuu4p3gva

33rd Place - 24th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2018)

McT's Interactive Fiction Reviews
"This is an odd experience. A sort of mash-up of IF, a dungeon grinder, a world-building strategy game, a roguelike game and one of those games you play on your phone where you have to make burgers or hotdogs to order. Sort of."

The Breakfast Review
"I did enjoy the RPG aspect and watching things get upgraded around me [....] The endings, however, seemed quite lacklustre in comparison to the build-up, wrapping up all the action and adventure in about two sentences."

"As a breakfast, the main body of this game might be a frittata made with fresh, wholesome garden vegetables and sprinkled with cheese. There's a nice, piquant kick to it. But with only water to wash it down, it's a bit of an anticlimax."

IFComprehensive
"A choice-based game that has the same feel as an old-school console RPG"

Smash vicious vegetables in a high fantasy setting, February 24, 2019
This is an interesting game; I had a ton of fun, but felt a bit deflated by my own ending (in hindsight, I should have saved!)

It's a homey game. You are on the run, but taken in by a sweet couple who run a tavern. They have odd chores for you...this game primarily consists of beating animate vegetables to death with a hammer. I found this very satisfying, and it even had an RPG-like element.

I got the ending faster than I thought I would, and I was specifically told I had picked the dullest ending, so I wish I had saved right before that or had an undo button.

Overall, it was an innovative concept and a game I enjoyed playing.

A short, fun (and wacky) comedy with light RPG elements, November 24, 2018
Trying to escape your past, in The Forgotten Tavern you turn up at a run-down tavern, out of other options. Soon you discover that there's something unusual about this particular tavern.

The proprietors, Max and Diana, give you a hammer and apron and send you through a secret portal to fight vegetables. When you defeat these vegetables you can bring them back to serve to customers. This allows Max and Diana to attract more customers, slowly upgrading the tavern (and your weapon and armor as well).

It all effectively amounts to a light RPG experience.

I found The Forgotten Tavern to be laugh-out-loud funny - one of the funniest games in IFComp 2018, in fact. Something about the whole setup, especially fighting animated vegetables (as well as the descriptions of such) struck me as hilarious. My family did as well; we had a good laugh around the dinner table one evening discussing what it would be like to do battle with large vegetables.

The tavern's continual menu changes and my character's status updates were fun. I was proud of my final title, (Spoiler - click to show)Tourism Board Chair.

The RPG aspects did come to feel a bit repetitive after a while, which eventually distracted from the comedy. But overall, I enjoyed The Forgotten Tavern.

If you enjoyed The Forgotten Tavern...

People who like The Forgotten Tavern also gave high ratings to these games:

Earth And Sky 3: Luminous Horizon, by Paul O'Brian

Hana Feels, by Gavin Inglis
Something is bothering Hana. Can you work out what it is? Take the part of four important people in her life and guide their conversations. After each scene, peek at Hana's journal and find out how she felt about the things you said.

Textfire Golf, by Adam Cadre
Stand steady at the tee... head down... slow backswing. Now, drive your tee shot 220 yards down the fairway, splitting a pair of sandtraps. Loft a five iron onto the green. And sink a twenty foot putt for a birdie! You control the swing...

The following polls include votes for The Forgotten Tavern:

Trying to find a good comedy. by H. W. Wiliams
I'm hoping to find a good comedy IF title. I've been away for a while and want a good laugh before I head back to work. Any suggestions?

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 17 November 2018 at 9:30pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item