Play online

The Turnip

by Joseph Pentangelo

2020

A hole-based economy and a venison-based diet. You and your dog. And a turnip.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2020
IFID: 7D1E48AB-3460-4D52-B0E2-680694EF9844
TUID: 1zbp42jzmajt4ds2

79th Place - 26th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2020)

strange flash fiction, perhaps "grotesque" in the literary sense..., October 5, 2020
by WidowDido (Northern California)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2020
An odd little piece of flash fiction, probably under 2000 words.

I doubt many English-language IF players know the name Yuri Mamleev, or a book of very strange short fiction collected in English under the title The Sky Above Hell and Other Stories. It is one of the few places I've seen fiction with a similar blur of realism and the grotesque, even in some places a similar tone. When these grotesque stories are executed correctly, they may not be "great" literature--but I tend to find them interesting, enjoyable, and above all memorable. For the length of this particular work, it is certainly worthwhile.

This is not a great work of IF. It is very light on the interactivity. As a piece of fiction, it is also not great. But IS certainly readable, and certainly more interesting than a lot of what can be found published in dozens of literary journals. It is a little sad this piece went unpublished as a regular story, but it is to the benefit of the IF community. Even with an IF Competition field of 100+ games, I imagine I'll remember this strange little story more than many longer and more interactive works of IF.

Anyone who likes the weird/strange/grotesque covered by a thin and warped veneer of realism should make a point of playing through this work.

Something Leafy This Way Comes, November 30, 2020
I appreciate the effort put into this entry's presentation the technical choices made to select fonts and colors, but also the information that is shared and withheld.

It's the terse story of an ominous turnip discovery: you play as someone with a job digging holes in a field, and the story is delivered in a fitting tone. The story advances one link at a time, but you can take detours to examine different things along the way.

Those detours make The Turnip stand out. Something is not quite right even before the turnip appears, and the narrator's world-weary tone conceals oddities that would only be present in a world much different from our own. When you click to examine something closer, you might get the bland description of something dismissed as commonplace, or it could be the wild perspective of someone seeing the world as a swirling, colorful omelet.

I enjoyed this storys skill and restraint. It didnt get bogged down with excess description, and it didnt trip over itself trying to deliver an in-depth examination of a world that is Not Like Our Own. A measured amount alienating details did a nice job of keeping me off balance while methodically trudging along an assigned path.

Very weird, short and linear, October 2, 2020
by RadioactiveCrow (Irving, TX)
Related reviews: About 15 minutes
I didn't care for this piece much. As the author notes, it is a short story he wrote some time ago turned into a very linear Twine piece, where the only interactivity is clicking on a few words to get some extra details. There are no branches in the narrative and there is only one ending. On top of that the story is really weird, like Upstream Color weird, and I didn't get it. Sorry.

It was clean execution though, and I appreciated the author's "About" page at the end.

If you enjoyed The Turnip...

People who like The Turnip also gave high ratings to these games:

Dominique Pamplemousse - It's All Over Once The Fat Lady Sings!, by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky)
Dominique Pamplemousse in �It�s All Over Once The Fat Lady Sings!� is a unique and offbeat stop motion animated detective adventure game about gender and the economy. Also, all the characters frequently burst into song.

Uncle Zebulon's Will, by Magnus Olsson
Your eccentric Uncle Zebulon considered himself a wizard, and was rumoured to be very wealthy. But when he died, he only left you one single object in his will... Winner in the TADS division of the First Annual IF Competition, 1995.

Beautiful Dreamer, by S. Woodson
"Outside, the chill wind wails and tears the leaves from their branches. Gusts of wind scour the muddy sidewalks; gusts of wind roar through the alleys between buildings. Before one gust can fade, another swells behind it, and another...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by JTN on 9 December 2020 at 7:53pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item